Gps??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a GPS to use when on the road and also have trail maps on.
I would like to have the ability to link it to my laptop so I can mount it in the car and use the laptop as the GPS. But I also want to be able to use the gps when I go on a hike or around town w/o the computer.
What are you guys using and how do you like it. what would you do differently ect..
thanks

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory GPS in the truck but I also have a couple of Garmin units and I have hooked all of them to my laptop and they work great. The unit effectively becomes the antenna for the signal and everything is displayed on the computer screen. You have to have the Garmin map software loaded on the computer your are using though. It is helpful to have the bigger screen when using the unit without a map and trying to decide where you are wanting to go next. There are also programs out there that you can load on your computer and install a antenna into the USB port that sits on your dash but then you wouldn't be able to carry in the woods hunting or fishing.

Trevor

Trynian

Reaction score
I also have a couple of Garmin units and I have hooked all of them to my laptop and they work great. The unit effectively becomes the antenna for the signal and everything is displayed on the computer screen. You have to have the Garmin map software loaded on the computer your are using though.Trevor

Which Garmin did you have that does this?

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only one I can remember the number of off hand is a Garmin GPS Map 60C. I have three others but I can't remember there numbers right now but I do know that I have hooked up the 60C and it definitely works perfect. I can't remember which of the others I have hooked up (I know at least two of the other three) but the 60C is probably the best unit for carrying in the field (of the ones I have anyway). I think that the 60C also comes in a 60CX now that has a internal compass (didn't have when I bought mine) and if I was going to get another one I would go with it. When standing still it will orientate your direction correctly. With mine you have to move in a direction for it to sort out which way your are facing.

Trevor

Trynian

Reaction score
The only one I can remember the number of off hand is a Garmin GPS Map 60C. I have three others but I can't remember there numbers right now but I do know that I have hooked up the 60C and it definitely works perfect. I can't remember which of the others I have hooked up (I know at least two of the other three) but the 60C is probably the best unit for carrying in the field (of the ones I have anyway). I think that the 60C also comes in a 60CX now that has a internal compass (didn't have when I bought mine) and if I was going to get another one I would go with it. When standing still it will orientate your direction correctly. With mine you have to move in a direction for it to sort out which way your are facing.

Trevor

I have that model and I do not see how it works to display actual info on your comp with the current garmin software.

You can transfer waypoints and tracks, routes and maps to and from it but it is not actual tracking info as in showing your movement on screen.

Can you share what you are doing to get it to do that?

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to check it out when I get home tonight but I didn't do anything special. All I did was plug in the USB cable between the unit and computer and it displayed my position and track on the computer screen. I may have had to change one of the settings so I will check it out when I get home tonight and get back with you.

Trevor

Trynian

Reaction score
I will have to check it out when I get home tonight but I didn't do anything special. All I did was plug in the USB cable between the unit and computer and it displayed my position and track on the computer screen. I may have had to change one of the settings so I will check it out when I get home tonight and get back with you.

Trevor

Thanks, check your software also. I am using the Garmin mapsource 6.14.1 with topo 2008 maps which is the most current I think. Maybe it is software related.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
I think it might be software related. I looked at a manual for an older version of mapsource and it has options in the manual for tracking that newer versions do not seem to.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Garmins for years...There is plenty of maps for it there are programs that will unlock all locked maps there are programs that let you load and create your own maps..
I have been using Vista CX , now there is better one with better antena, the x means that you can add memory with card..I like it it is cheap and fits in your hand when backpacking,
There are routable maps for it from all over world ,topo maps marine maps..
Has a small display yet it is enogh for the car..size of a cell phone...there are better ones but more expensive ones and when the memory is not an issue I do not care,
The newest have touch screen display and I do not like it....

Trynian

Reaction score
I think it might be software related. I looked at a manual for an older version of mapsource and it has options in the manual for tracking that newer versions do not seem to.

Yep, that was it.

I found the tracking ability on an older mapsource version that is removed from newer versions.

Now you have to dload an addon program called Nroute to get tracking on your laptop.

I found it in the Garmin FAQ.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo