H-11 LED Fog Light Bulbs for the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000K H-11 Lamps in my fog lights and they are awesome. Pure Bright White light that matches my HID headlights and gets rid of the nasty yellowish halogens that were originally there. Same 55 watt rating so no problems with the wiring holding the amperage, etc. Easy out and in, about 10 minutes or less per lamp. You need a Torx screwdriver of the correct size; easier if you have a magnetized head Torx screwdriver so it will hold the screws as you take them in and out. Just remember to wipe the new bulbs with rubbing or isopropyl alcohol before installing to assure they are completely oil and dirt free. They last longer and won't fail as a result of contamination. Going to do my high beams with H7's of the same type next. LR put HID's in the main headlights and halogens in the high beams of the LUX package. Should be great with the whiter high beams!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fog lights are not suppose to match anything, there where design to cut thru dense fog, so the more yellow they are the better the visibility.Ideal output should be below 4000K.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fog lights are not suppose to match anything, there where design to cut thru dense fog, so the more yellow they are the better the visibility.Ideal output should be below 4000K.

You might find this useful:

So, what is a good fog lamp? A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff. Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.

France was the contry that required yellow lighting and since that was abolished, there has not been any major improvements in yellow as a valid color for fog lights. Interestingly, what is noted is the hman eye, rather than the light, is what reacts to the coloration of the reflected light.

" What explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for yellow fog lamps, despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought. That effect is known as Rayleigh Scattering, and is why the sky appears blue. However, it occurs only when the droplet size is equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light, which is certainly not the case with ordinary fog, rain or snow. Roadway Fog droplets are several orders of magnitude larger than visible light wavelengths, so there's no Rayleigh Scattering."

So, the choice is just up to the driver. Until headlights are built to fill the entire roadway, edge to edge, auxiliary lighting will be needed. Fog lights will fill the bill here in the US until such time that they allow Driving Lights to be legal. And yes, the low cutoff for white does fill the same bill as the yellow lights. If yellow were the only colow that was acceptable, then why have a red rear fog light...why not amber like the turn signals?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of these. Supposed to be CANBUS protected with a resistor, so no fault codes. Hopefully they are crisp and bright for the price!

http://www.carid.com/universal-bulbs/lumen-plazma-led-lights-10645359.html

Just a fair warning, I do not recommend these. The light is indeed a crisp white but the light output is abysmal. I struggle to see them put any light down overtop of the low beam HIDs. With the stock fogs, I could at least see light thrown wider.

I will put a pic up when I get a chance.

Probably going to order these to replace them:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Diamond-Vision-Halogen-Super/dp/B00GD8OL62

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a fair warning, I do not recommend these. The light is indeed a crisp white but the light output is abysmal. I struggle to see them put any light down overtop of the low beam HIDs. With the stock fogs, I could at least see light thrown wider.

Probably going to order these to replace them:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Diamond-Vision-Halogen-Super/dp/B00GD8OL62

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Diamon.../dp/B00GD8OL62
Exactly the ones I installed. Brilliant!

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of these. Supposed to be CANBUS protected with a resistor, so no fault codes. Hopefully they are crisp and bright for the price!

http://www.carid.com/universal-bulbs/lumen-plazma-led-lights-10645359.html

Here is a pic. It looks bright and white, but as I said it doesn't put much light out at all. Do NOT recommend.

Attachments

• 2014-05-12 05.37.39.jpg
    2014-05-12 05.37.39.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware, Surfrider77 is saying the LED bulbs do not put out much light. The Diamond Vision H-11's put out plenty of light. Just to clarify the subject!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM