Had to say Goodbye...but it was a good run.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel free to stop reading if, you might not get 5 minutes of your life back. Otherwise here is my babbling tribute to my LR3. No one else really cares so I thought I would share here.

67a18ff9-1789-48ac-92d1-c29fc72dba4f_zps0dbesyid.jpg

b052e84c-a652-4582-baf1-1d69dc0ec77b_zpsslmz2vxf.jpg

209bd4eb-6bb9-47b3-a645-9fa07157f3d2_zpsbois6f1y.jpg

My LR3 took the long road to a new home this weekend. More likely the auction, but maybe a better home indeed. Had to say it was an amazing run, I had the LR since new off the lot. A total of 9 years and 11 days we Roved the earth together. Quite a few miles on OBX, some local creek crossings, and some runs up to Paragon. Hundreds of grocery store trips and Lowes runs.

That said, I have to say I was one of the lucky ones with my truck. My LR3 had it's normal quarks and issues, but nothing set me back too bad in the end. I am amazed how well the body holds up, how strong the seals are on everything, and how rigid the body really is. I traded it with 82K miles, and some good memories. Lots of stuff for sale over in the selling thread if you are in the market.

Purchased new July 1, 2006
LR3 SE, Tonga Green, Cold Weather package, SatNav
6 year, 100K extended warranty, $100 deductible

Warranteed Repairs (in order)
CPU flash
Sunroof Shade latch replaced
Rear Tires replaced, alignment
CPU flash
Sway bar bushing, front LCA bushings
Steering clunk, shaft bushings replaced
Trans computer replace (due to water ingress, only time LR left me hanging)
New battery
CPU flash
Sway bar end links, bushings, alignment
A pillar seal kit
Rear Window Latch/actuator
Windshield replaced (due to grid failure)
Inner Outer Tie Rods, LCA bushings, alignment
Coolant res tank, sensor
Compressor drier rebuild, flash, relay

Out of pocket
IID Bluetooth tool
2 axle seals
1 set of belts
1 tire sensor (snapped while airing in -4 weather)
1 set of brakes (centric rotors, akebono pads)
1 new set of tires (Yoko Geo ATS)
($400 deductible payments)
Royal Purple diffs, xfer, engine oil
3 left rear taillight bulbs
brake switch
4x air filters

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking truck! Glad you enjoyed it.

What'd you replace it with?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking truck! Glad you enjoyed it.

What'd you replace it with?

Well, first let me say if an acceptible form of a Defender ever hits NA shores, I'm all over it. I'm sure I'll be back in an LR sometime.

I decided to go with an oil burning Jeep Grand Cherokee. Biggest loss is some interior space and it was a shock to have a plastic body again. So much unneeded trim and styling features but it is a sharp looking rig.

Chose the diesel because I like the 420ft/lbs of torque, and the 25-30MPG. (italian motor, German ZF 8 speed trans) Has 4 corner air suspension (nitrogen sealed system, not air) and off road modes are pretty darn high. Select terrain, hill decent, and electric steering. We'll soon see how capable it is but for now I'm loving it. Just lost a whole bunch of interior space but overall the tech, utility, and ride quality have not let me down. (Granted only have like 200 miles so far)

We'll see what happens when the Jeep gets dirty.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy it. I have wondered about those as well, but as you said, I love my interior space and tailgate.

How are you liking the diesel engine so far? (noise, smell, highway driving response, etc.)

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first let me say if an acceptible form of a Defender ever hits NA shores, I'm all over it. I'm sure I'll be back in an LR sometime.

Cool! I heard the lad in charge of the new defender (L663) is a series owner and he also drives a 110 so I suppose he'll point the defender in the right direction!

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you liking the diesel engine so far? (noise, smell, highway driving response, etc.)

The #1 reason I went Chrysler was due to the Diesel. Power is amazing, zero complaints. Have yet to fuel since you are good for 500-700 miles per tank depending on conditions. No smell at all, not noticeable at least over a gas motor.

More quiet than most gas cars on the road, and likely cannot even tell unless the windows are down and you are sitting idle. You can feel the initial take off is more diesel than gas motor, but i'm almost used to that already as well. Summit Cherokee has acoustic glass and noise cancellation, so I really don't hear it, even with Windows down.

Overall you can still tell it's a diesel, but barely. It's certainly not a 95 Ram 2500 with a Cummings. Its super quiet and powerful, and changing lanes or pulling out in traffic is no problem. The nightmares are said to be the DEF injector for the exhaust fluid. We'll see how that goes, damn pollution control keeps us from having too nice of things.

LRNA needs to bring some diesel over here, I think it would do well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99