HAM radio installation of a Yaesu FT-8800R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newthings

Reaction score
Antenna mounting-
Remove the plastic cover on the GPS antenna by using a Dremel disk to cut slots into the security screw heads. Push the front plastic cover forward to release. Drill a 3/16” hole in the GPS antenna rubber plug. Stay away from the center so as not to damage the wires in the plug. Cut into plug to join the hole to the outside edge.
Mount NMB base onto the center of an aluminum cookie sheet 14x18”. The cookie sheet is bolted to the roof rack. With so much roof glass, the aluminum sheet serves to improve the ground plane. The GPS hole in the roof is large enough to feed the antenna connector through. Run the wire to the left corner post and down to the under floor.
Replace the GPS cover and seal with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.

Head unit
Using 1/8” ABS plastic, bend a 4” wide strip to about 90 degrees and leave 1 ½” strip to slide under the headliner. Bolt the other flat to the remote head unit bracket. Tuck the wire under the headliner and around the top of the A pillar cover. Tuck under the soft molding over the drivers door and around the B pillar. Continue along the headliner for a point to drop the wire into the side storage area and on to the radio body unit under the rear floor.
Mic
Obtain a 12’ phone cable and plug into the head unit. This MUST be a 6 wire cable with RG-11 6 wire plugs for the Mic to work. Tuck the wire under the headliner edge on the passenger side and down the front of the A pillar cover. Run the wire down the side of the dash and tuck under the plastic strip at the edge of the dash. Run the wire over the foot well plastic and along the edge of the console to come out at the junction of the dash and console. Attach the double female 6 wire (!) phone connector to the console with industrial double sided tape. The Mic plugs in here.

Radio Body
Bolt the body bracket to the ABS plastic rear floor accessory sheet.

Cheers, Roy

Attachments

• 8800head.JPG
    8800head.JPG
    964.9 KB · Views: 49
  • speaker.JPG
    speaker.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • hamantenna.JPG
    hamantenna.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • radioBody.JPG
    radioBody.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is some serious awesome setup! Not sure if I like the driver seat speaker placement... I am still in the process of getting mine installed.

newthings

Reaction score
Thanks.
I am now thinking about adding a HF rig as a permanent install or out of my disaster Pelican case using the Land Rover as the power source and antenna mount for a Tarheel II.
Cheers, Roy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72