Hard to change the brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Ok so I have been hearing some grinding when I apply the brakes on the disco, it seems to be coming from the rear. I have looked at the pads and they do look like they could use changing, the front are ok, probably should do both at the same time. So how hard it is to do, will I need to change the fluid, are there any special tools that I will need. And what do I need to buy, and where can I buy it? It’s a 99 II with about 95k on it.
Thanks to those that respond!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly the D2 is not that hard to change the brakes on. The D1 on the other hand are not as fun.

L

LisaB

There are only 2 possible tough spots with D2 brakes. One is the phillips head screws which will probably be corroded and the head will strip out when you try to remove them even with an impact driver. You will probably end up drilling most if not all of them out.
The next tough spot will be removing the rotors -- they will be corroded to the hub. A block of wood and gentle persuasion by a hammer on the backside (and patience) and they will come off. Use emery cloth on the hub to clean up the rust, and use a little anti-sieze when replacing the rotor.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LisaB said:
There are only 2 possible tough spots with D2 brakes. One is the phillips head screws which will probably be corroded and the head will strip out when you try to remove them even with an impact driver. You will probably end up drilling most if not all of them out.
The next tough spot will be removing the rotors -- they will be corroded to the hub. A block of wood and gentle persuasion by a hammer on the backside (and patience) and they will come off. Use emery cloth on the hub to clean up the rust, and use a little anti-sieze when replacing the rotor.
The easiest way to get the philips screw loose, is to take a ballpen hammer and place the round end on the screw. With another hamer ... give it a few good whacks ... 3 to 4 ... and it should come out easily ... dosn't hurt to spray it with WD-40 or other such penetrant a few minutes beforehand. Just make sure you use new screws tightened around 10 inch/pounds of torque.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4