Hardwire Valentine 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mbc

Has anyone done a hardiwre install of a radar detector? No peanut gallery comments please. I traded my BMW for the LR3 for family reasons but it doesn't mean i traded my (responsible) lead foot!

Thanks

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Do you want to always have power going to it, so you don't tie up a power outlet, but where you have to turn on the detector? Or do you want the detector always to be on? Different answers to those questions.

M

mbc

power on when ignition on is what i am looking for

in my 330i, this was accomplished by finding a 'hot' source in the sunroff/reading light console. I assume (hope) that there is a hot wire up there in the Lr3

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the old thread, freeflytim just tapped into the cigarette lighter circuit fuse behind the glove box. Probably safer. Running the wire is pretty basic...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schafari

I installed a remote Bel Pro Plus 75. This is a custom concealed remote detection unit with four laser and radar modules that mount in the grille and the rear. It also requires a hub like device that I mounted behind the center console. Everything then wires from this hub with cables provided. Finally, there is the display unit, remote switch for mute/volume, and then the external speaker.

For a power source, IIRC, I tapped into the fuse box on the passenger side. I think I used an open/extra fuse opening the goes on/off with the ignition. I also added an in-line fuse, as well as the fuse at the fuse box. I studied the fuse uses and tested it with a multimeter to ensure I found on that goes on/off with the ignition.

You definitely want to wire it to a switched source. The LR3 seems to really suck juice even with everything off. If you wired it to an always on source, hard to find in the LR3 by the way, and left it on for a day or two, I wouldn't doubt that it would drain the battery needlessly.

S

schafari

Yes, the front has three modules. A radar unit, and two laser units. The radar unit was relatively easy to install. The two laser units were more difficult. I had to take the bumper cover off, and some of the under cover shields.

Despite all the work and planning, the units look great. You can't see anything from the front of the truck. The radar unit is behind one of the plastic main grill bars. (The grill comes off with about four clips in about 10 seconds by the way.) The laser units are back in the lower grill area, below the bumper, in the scoop area that brings air into the lower part of the radiator.

The rear was easy. It is a small license plate mount unit. I spent most of the time running the wire and ensuring a factory like install. I had to drill into the tailgate.

I took a bunch of pictures of the install. I don't know how to post pictures, otherwise I would. All in all, the most time was spent actually planning and designing the install. Well worth it however. There was no good place to mount my dash type detector. No matter where I tested it, it just looked wrong. With the remote unit, it just looks fantastic, and very unnoticeable.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari - Send me the pics and I'll host them for you if you like... PM me...

S

schafari

I am trying to post pic's of the remote radar install. There should be 5 pics showing various key parts of the install.

Attachments

• LR3 Front Bel Install1.JPG
    LR3 Front Bel Install1.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg