Have you had to replace your shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can one tell when the bushings are going bad?

When the sway bar bushings went bad, the front end would squeak when going over bumpy/rutted roads. When the control arm bushings went bad, the front end would thunk/knock when going up drive ways, curbs, etc. You could also feel the knock in the steering wheel. LR used softer bushings for the LR3's in the US market (for that "softer" ride americans wanted :stupid:) than the LR3's (Disco3's) everywhere else in the world, hence, they wear out faster.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 77k miles and my suspension feels just as good as it did the day I bought the LR3...after having several bushings replaced, of course.

I have 93,600mi and mine is tight as a drum.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can one tell when the bushings are going bad?
I just had my bushings replaced under extended warranty. The dealership actually diagnosed it. They said if you drive forward and slam on the breaks, you'll hear a clunk if the bushings are bad. That is the a-arms (?) punching through the worn out bushings and hitting the frame.

I have never worked on them so may very well have all the parts wrong, but this self test made sense to me. I did used to notice a clunking when I drove on washboard terrain which did not sound normal. Was probably the same thing.

Regarding replacing the air shocks, a buddy of mine did them himself on his Quattro All-Road and said it was pretty easy. This is also an air suspension vehicle capable of raising and lowering. He said all the Audi documentation said this had to absolutely be done at the dealer due to computer code resets, etc. etc...but he found them online for a very fair price and they came with good installation instructions. Put them in. No error codes. No problems. Anyway, worth a google search on the part if you want to try it yourself...

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Topic is replacement shocks:

Greetings All;

Yes, there does indeed reside a shock absorber inside the LR 3 air bag. Mine were replaced at 25,000 miles not because they were worn-out but for the reason of very poor performance in a fully loaded (expedition) vehicle. No load execution was not much better! I am quite happy with my new 'boingers'. No more baby-buggy, seasick, sloppy, white knuckle and untidy handling characteristics. Swore I would never own another 'limmie' anything again. Guess I'm a slow learner! Lots of mods to keep this rig capable. >>>> Aux tank > big rubber > roc sliders > swing-away spare > roof rac for # 2 spare > lites > to much more. Nothing out there to replace it with. It is Baja proven tough.

KONI SHOCKS
P/N FSD 2100-4069
Land Rover 2006 LR 3

Best Regards, sq.

Thanks for the part number. It seems I can only find them on UK websites. Did you find them here in the states?

I have to admit I am surprised that others have not replaced shocks. It's a very heavy vehicle, and it seems that at 75k+ miles, people would have to be replacing them. I could be wrong, but in most other vehicles, aren't shocks usually replaced at 75 or 100k?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new (shock in side air bag). Thanks!

The weight of the car should not impact the life of the shocks. The springs (or airbags in this case) would support the vehicle weight. The shock dampens the movement of the wheel assembly in relation to the vehicle; Shocks would be more effected by the wheel and tire weight and terrain (I would think). I think the 3 tonnes of vehicle weight actually has a dampening effect on the wheels.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91K on mine and still good. I dread the day I would have to replace all 4

squarecircle

Reaction score
Thanks for the part number. It seems I can only find them on UK websites. Did you find them here in the states?

I have to admit I am surprised that others have not replaced shocks. It's a very heavy vehicle, and it seems that at 75k+ miles, people would have to be replacing them. I could be wrong, but in most other vehicles, aren't shocks usually replaced at 75 or 100k?

Greetings calibre;

Your assessment of these standard factory supplied shocks is correct. The vehicle does weigh in close to 6,000 Lbs. unladen. Add weight and the standard shock is over stressed and over taxed thus rendering very poor and loose handling dynamics. This, to me, is a big safety consideration.

I just maybe one of the very few in the USA with these shocks on an air ride contoll LR 3.
This KONI product is valved stiffer and is considerable stronger than the standard unit.

Try the Hebron, Kentucky site @ Telephone (859) 586-4100 / Facsimile (859) 334-3340.
www.koni-na.com If these sites are not productive for you >>>>> there are other ways. Be advised this is a top quality and rare item and therefore not inexpensive!

Ride safe, sq.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9