Heavily stained headliner...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

issacd

Reaction score
I am new to Land Rover, just picked up a 2000 Land Rover Discovery. I am working on fixing it up, and one of the issues is a VERY heavily water stained headliner. My guess is that the stains where caused by clogged sunroof drains, but since I am new to rovers and have no history on this rig, I would love to get the opinion of some long time disco owners on this issue.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be sunroof drains or someone left the sunroof open.... either way best fix is a headliner replacement... at least I don't know of anyways to clean the headliner

issacd

Reaction score
That's what I suspected, so I cleaned the sunroof drains the best I could this morning. The drains seem nearly impossible to get to though?

I was planning on taking out the headliner and applying new headliner material. I am sure it will be quite a job with all those pockets, lights, plastic bits etc! I have done it a number of times on our SAAB's, but this looks much more complicated.

tkat

Reaction score
Hello, just noticed your post. I too have a stained headliner, mainly above the rr passenger door. Discovered the leak was from the roof rail attachment bolt, which goes all the way thru the roof. I removed both rails and applied an automotive weather sealant arount the base of the roof rail where it mates to the top of the roof. You must remove the headliner to do this. I am also trying to re-glue the headliner material where it has separated and sagging. This isn't going so well. The foam material has deteriorated, so the glue will not adhere to it. Let me know how your project is going and if you were able to find replacement material for the headliner. Btw, mine is a 2000 disco. Good luck!

issacd

Reaction score
Re:

Hello, just noticed your post. I too have a stained headliner, mainly above the rr passenger door. Discovered the leak was from the roof rail attachment bolt, which goes all the way thru the roof. I removed both rails and applied an automotive weather sealant arount the base of the roof rail where it mates to the top of the roof. You must remove the headliner to do this. I am also trying to re-glue the headliner material where it has separated and sagging. This isn't going so well. The foam material has deteriorated, so the glue will not adhere to it. Let me know how your project is going and if you were able to find replacement material for the headliner. Btw, mine is a 2000 disco. Good luck!

I have replaced my headliner, using a kit from WLS Headliners http://wlsheadliners.com . Their kit fit nicely and is of top quality. I went with the " 2126 beige" color and it matches nicely. Installation on the other hand is EXTREMELY aggravating! It is IMPOSSIBLE to install without either creases or a "gather" (which is what I did) since the headliner in the Disco is so deep and contoured. I would HIGHLY recommend having your headliner done professionally.

When I had the headliner off I saw that both front sunroof drains were snapped off, so using a lot of hot glue I reattached them. I also used so much glue that they would withstand an impact form within the cabin. The bad news is that I am getting water again in the right front corner after the new headliner is installed. This is discouraging, since I thoroughly checked for leaks while the headliner was out and after I had repaired the drains. I guess it is most likely to be those bolts for the roof rail. I will need to remove the headliner again to seal up a few more things.

Ugly

Reaction score
I have some pics of me taking my headliner out, and reinstalling it with a new headliner. I made the headliner out of a king size bed sheet! (If I can figure out how to resize all of them).

Reaction score
The only way to find a water leak in an automobile with or without an Sunroof or 2 in your case is to REMOVE THE HEADLINER BOARD AND WATER TEST THE SUNROOFS,WINDSHIELD AND ALPINE WINDOWS with a garden hose for water leaks.

Anything short of removing the Headliner Board and Water Testing is based on assumptions not Facts.

Most shops dont want to remove the headliner board because it takes time and money to do such a job, but is the only way to see with your own eyes where the water is coming from.

Unless they have Magical X-Ray Vision Glasses were they can see behind the Headliner Board to identifie were the water is coming from

DISCOVERYS Are notorious for having front windshield leaks that a fact!

Not likely to be a sunroof seal!

More likely to be a broken drain tube. The Drain Tubes Break where they attach at the plastic cup that attaches to the lower tub assemble, these can be easily fixed when the Headliner Board Removed.

Discovery Sunroofs only have 2 drain tubes per sunroof, unlike the rangerover or freelander that has 4 drain tubes per sunroof.

I can walk you through the process over the phone step by step either replacing your Headliner or Repairing your Sunroof, Even helping you locate those hard to find Water Leaks.

If i can help n any way just ask. Bill

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoiding sags, gaps and gathers. My experience with application of the liner material to a glue-moistened headliner board. I used the stuff you paint on with a brush, buy about a quart of it. (learned that on the internet, that the sparys are convenient but don't work as well). Made by many manufacturers, carried in auto part shops. I scraped all that loose foam stuff off and sanded it smooth. The last 3% in a few patches wasn't worth removing. The old foam is miserable gummy sticky goey stuff. I did a layup dry run and discovered that I needed 4 assistants to hold up the corners while I started from the center. Once everything is in place the layup only takes 15 minutes. The assistants are essential, but they don't need to be experts, just reliable. Wives, kids and the neighbors kids, then it's everyone for icecream. Worked out perfectly for me and looks like a factory job. I started from the center and worked my way outward in circles. The purpose of the foam must be for sound deadening. Who would notice a noise change in a Disco? I have no sunroofs so that fitting problem was avoided.

Reaction score
The Foam Backing is designed to remove any Imperfections within or on the Headliner Board!

If you were able to laminated just the cloth to the Headliner Board any Bumps or Lumps in the Headliner Board would show right through the cloth, The Use of the Foam Backing will basically fill the voids and allow the cloth to aesthetically be pleasing to ones eye.

It does possess a certain amount of sound deadening Quality's Alzerom mentioned above. Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink