HELP -- Need Assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need the infamous brake light switch (mounts on the brake pedal, screws you out of going out if it fails). I have a RoversNorth part number but I'd like the genuine part number if possible, so I can try to get my dealership to give me one ASAP.

RN # RNE678

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I got a line on the part....does anyone have any helpful hints for removing this thing? I don't have double-jointed elbows and I have big hands with fat fingers.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an extra one to keep in the glove compartment just in case.

You have to be a bit of a contortionist to get at the switch. I could not turn my body to look at the switch at the same time I reached up to unplug and remove it.

I just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one to get home from the parking lot I was stuck in. The brake lights stayed on all the way home but I wanted to do the job right at home in my garage. I looked like I was trying to hot wire the ignition in the parking lot I was in.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if the brake light switch goes bad? I don't understand why you couldn't just drive?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch turns on the lights, and also signals the interlock solenoid that you can move the gear selector. No solenoid opening = no changing gears. It's a safety feature on NAS cars to ensure that you hit the brake before moving from park.

I managed to get the brake lights to come on once, and moved the truck into the garage. Tommy33 is right -- I must've looked like a car thief out on the curb, in my dark blue coveralls and watch cap, in the snow, contorting around and trying to get underneath the steering wheel in my truck.

New switch is on the way.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really is a silly safety feature. What if the place you are trying to leave is not so safe? You're stranded until you get a tow or change it yourself. If it's 3 am, that ain't to cool.

A buzzer every time you step on the brakes to let you know the lights are out would have been a better I dea.

Good luck Moose.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. If the brake light switch weren't broken (thus, no brake lights), I would just bypass the damned solenoid. My habit is to hit the brake anyway, after 15 years of driving American cars...

...makes me wish I had a stick -- although I suppose the clutch interlock switch wears out too....same stupid safety "feature," courtesy of NHTSA.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh, so that's why I didn't know what it was - ours is a stick. And it doesn't have a clutch interlock switch, you could start it in gear if you wanted to ;)

M

mge_1

OK I have this issue right now that sometimes its stuck in PARK. Can you give me the correct name for me to order that park? Is it the "brake interlock switch" and you said its easy to replace right? Please get back at me and I will order the part ASAP. Only the dealership has this part or can I order it somewhere else? Also how much is it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9