Help needed with engine transplant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter91

Reaction score
Hi

Ive got a 1990 90 defender with a 2.5l turbo diesel engine, and im looking to transplant it for a 200tdi or 300 tdi engine, how hard is it and how long would it take roughly?

Thanks for any help in this matter

Thanks

peter

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but since I haven't even had the priviledge of working on a Rover diesel I couldn't say. If in the USA, contact East cost Rovers and ask (Google their name) if in the UK, I would call and talk to RPI, or worst case check with your local land rover mechanic and ask... most will gladly offer free advise... or buy them them preferred pint.

danshepp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
re: engine transplant

i have read some where that it is possible to transplant the 200 and 300 tdi into the defender. they say that it would be easier to implant the 200 tdi

j.stobart

Reaction score
200tdi transplant

Hi, I have just done this very transplant, and if you use the 200tdi engine out of a defender, to replace the 2.5td, the job is a whole lot easier. It can be done using the engine out of a discovery but the air inlet manifold is positioned differently and the turbo unit is also mounted to the engine lower down, which means you have to get a different exhaust down pipe.
Steve Parker Exhuasts sells them for about £110.00 I think.

The radiator also has to be modified slightly as it sits too high when installed in the 90.

If you aren't sure as to when clutch and fork assembly were last changed or timing belt, then I would seriously recommend doing this as it saves a lot of hassle once the engine is in and rebuilt.

I did all the swaps changed timing belt and clutch fork and plate assemblies, I also changed water pump, air/ oil & fuel filters, changed oil, replaced heater plugs,

I took the old unit out and put the 200tdi back in and fitted it all back together in 3 days on my dads driveway. I used an engine hoist to make things easier as the engines are bloody heavy, and to make access easier I also took all the front end off (bumper grill etc.

You will also need to use the fuel filter housing from the 200tdi engine as the fuel pipe unions are different on the 90 td.

I must say I am mighty impressed with the transformation, my truck had never seen 80mph before, it will probably dop more but I am reluctant to take it any faster for fear of being over taken by the wheels and tyres as they break away from my truck lol, and it can now catch pigeons on take off, and the noise it makes when boosting is simply awesome. I am going to replace the centre silencer soon with a straight through stainless section, terminating at a side exit exhaust, and enhance the engine note further.

Highly recommended if you can get your hands on a defender engine for the right money, although they are much more expensive than the discovery alternatives. but the money you have to lay out for the conversion parts just about equal the 2 engines up.any help needed let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4