Hi All

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cofroad

Reaction score
New to forum and live in the UK. Waiting delivery of my first new car always had company cars previously, gone a bit mad and ordered a Discovery HSE with many options. Now cannot decide on accessories as I have spent too much, ordered the mud flaps and the only other ones I am considering are body side mouldings and side steps but might leave these, any suggestions? Retired now and have children living a long way away in two directions hence a bit of luxury and spending the kids inheritances. I do go fishing so it will be handy there and also for transporting my many grandchildren, probably won't go off road much. Due to go on a Land Rover Experience in two weeks time. Really interesting reading the posts from NA especially trying to figure out things such as rotors we call them the disc.

Look forward to reading the post and when in a position will reply if I can.

cofroad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Most of the stuff you want can probably be purchased after sale from a third party much cheaper than from LR. Either way enjoy.

Subman574

Reaction score
Enjoy it - I just bought a new LR4 (aka Disco) largely for fly fishing, and it is superb for the purpose.

cofroad

Reaction score
Message from the UK

Subman574
Thanks for the reply and for the encouragement. Living here in the UK and following the threads on a mainly NA site is great. I have not managed to read them all but have read a fair number and learnt so much. I have already purchased from Amazon the ipad felt pens for use on the screen, thanks to whoever recommended these.
It was my eldest son that encouraged me to make the decision on a Discovery, it would have been another motorhome, must admit I now fancy camping again instead of motorhoming which I did for a number of years when the children were younger. Have already looked at the quick put up tents where you can reverse the Discovery into the awning. My son is a petrol head having had porches including a 911 and for his wife Cayenne turbo S and now a BMW X5. If it had not been for my daughter-in-law he would have purchased her a Discovery so I think that is why he persuaded me as he thinks it will suit me in my retirement, people carrier for any of the 7 grandchildren, capabilities in the snow, great for DIY and fishing and of course nice to travel in when going down south and or north to visit my family. This is my first new car purchase having had company cars all my working life with General Motors (Vauxhall/Opel in Europe) so it will be treasured mainly because it is costing twice as much as I really wanted to spend.
I got a reasonable discount from the dealer and went a bit mad by ordering the UK HSE model and got carried away with the options, the HSE is the top of the range here and only has one engine option the standard SDV6 256hp a 3.0-litre, V6 turbodiesel engine with a ZF 8 speed gearbox and paddle shifts. This is the same engine and gearbox as in the Jaguar ZF and the published MPG is combined 32.1 with 0 to 60 in 8.8 seconds. (One UK gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons), your large petrol engine vehicles must be great to drive having all that power, although I read you cannot wait for a diesel version over there.
Ordered the car on 29 December after hours of research and it is now at the dealer where a tracker system has been fitted for insurance purposes. Collect it the first week of March when the registration plate changes to **12 *** for 2012. We have 2 changes a year in March and September which this year will be **62 ***. Next year will be March 13 and September 63. This makes these 2 months the high volume months for UK vehicle sales as they can affect the residual values. You can see I worked in the motor trade, manufacture, as I can’t get away from it. Decided not to put the body side moulding or side steps on as most pictures you see are without them and the car or as you say truck looks good without them.
I really envy you guys in the states with such a variety of places to go and the possibility of using the cars off road, I will be going to Ireland fishing in June so some off road may be possible, although with the 20” wheels not sure I will do much off roading. I am however going on the Land Rover experience this coming weekend so maybe this will persuade me to do some off roading and use some of the other superb features this car has. We do have what are called green lanes over here, unmade up roads open to the public but they are few and far and difficult to find.

Must let you all know how I get on and if there are any visitors to the UK I am 20 miles north of London you must let me know and I will take out in a RHD diesel UK Discovery.

Subman574

Reaction score
cofroad - good to read your post, hope you enjoy a non-company car! I must admit I am a bit jealous of your fishing trip to Ireland, that's on my "bucket list" as an Irish American. My wife's dad grew up in southern Scotland and his best friend Alaistair sill lives there and is always wanting to have us over....and my wife's cousin lives in Hampshire (Headley Down) so we're hoping to do an England and Scotland holiday soon. (And yes, I'll be fishing while there). I've been to London, Glasgow, and a few other places but always on business so have never had a chance to fish.

The 5.0 liter V-8 we get is a tremendous engine, although a bit thirsty. No lack of power, that's for certain. All we get is the 6 speed, and no paddle shifters (though the center stick shift has a manual shift capability).

I've often been bewildered by the UK numbering scheme for license plates, we have it pretty easy. Interesting that the residual values can be affected by the registration - never would have guessed.

Enjoy the driving experience and greenlaning - and good luck in Ireland! Cheers...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635