highway ride - help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any sort of fluid around the lower shock mount? I'd hate to see you throw money at an issue without knowing the exact problems. Yellow faults are hard to track sometimes.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and you can cause a sensor to go "out of range" and throw a fault pretty easily with the mod'd rods. As I said I've done this. I was also in "normal" height when it happened. If I can recall the details correctly I was in Normal, got high-sided on a stump/root and as I tried to lift up into Off-road height for extra clearance the rig was also going into Extended Mode on its own. My foot was on the brake (since I was high-sided it was natural to want to hold the LR3 in position while I raised) so in effect I was putting it up beyond super-extended-mode....which caused the fault.

No biggie. Re-booted. Got the fault read later on and that's what it said "sensor out of range." I've never had it re-cur. I've been more careful since then.

...but as for the lingering ride issue, I'm afraid I can't help there.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire air pressure

I know this may seem silly, but worn out / bad tires and underinflated tires will cause this on an LR3. This past winter my LR3 got very "lurchy" on the highway -- in particular when the roads were uneven, worn down from heavy trucks. It got pretty bad and was repeatable on this one exit ramp here in Nashville. My right front tire had 18 lb of pressure in it bc of a nail. Fixed it up, refilled with air and the problem 100% totally went away. So -- tires can cause this for sure. I am actually amazed how severe the problem was, and the tire didn't "look" flat, maybe a little low on air but nothing dramatic (Im on stock 19" HSE rims).

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look for some fluid at the bottom of that shock.

It wasn't tire pressure - all tires are regularly at 40 right now.

When the vehicle sits overnight, it still looks the same in the morning. I'd say 1 out of every 3 mornings the compressor fires up upon starting the vehicle. I'd probably say no leak.

So, here's a question - how many people have had to replace a shock due to the shock mechanism itself, and not a leaking bag? Meaning, the bag is OK, but it is bouncy at a corner because of the shock/rebound unit? Anyone?

Also - I think I'm going to try to take it into a local Indy to have them look at it before going to the dealership. Anyone on here in Utah, and can recommend a good place? Thanks!

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I need to get this resolved in the next couple weeks, so I'm back on this. I had a guy look at the rig today, and he says I need new front-end lower control arm rear bushings, and possibly a right-rear shock. I'll be taking it to another place for their opinion. I'm trying to stay away from a dealership for a little cost savings.

A couple questions:

1) Front end needs new lower rear bushings. Is there anywhere that I can purchase new lower control arms, other than the dealer? (Based on reading this forum, sounds like I might as well just replace the lower control arm, instead of messing with the bushings?)

2) If I end up needing to replace the right-rear air-bag/shock, I've looked at roverparts.com and found these: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/REB500190G.cfm?bc=ab
Does anyone know why they don't seem to carry the rear sets? They seem to only sell the fronts?

3) Is it fairly easy to replace the airbag unit/shock at a rear corner? Or is it a big job?

Trynian

Reaction score
OK, I need to get this resolved in the next couple weeks, so I'm back on this. I had a guy look at the rig today, and he says I need new front-end lower control arm rear bushings, and possibly a right-rear shock. I'll be taking it to another place for their opinion. I'm trying to stay away from a dealership for a little cost savings.

A couple questions:

1) Front end needs new lower rear bushings. Is there anywhere that I can purchase new lower control arms, other than the dealer? (Based on reading this forum, sounds like I might as well just replace the lower control arm, instead of messing with the bushings?)

2) If I end up needing to replace the right-rear air-bag/shock, I've looked at roverparts.com and found these: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/REB500190G.cfm?bc=ab
Does anyone know why they don't seem to carry the rear sets? They seem to only sell the fronts?

3) Is it fairly easy to replace the airbag unit/shock at a rear corner? Or is it a big job?

There is British parts of Utah, you can see if they can get you one. I think the shock and air spring is all one unit, it only shows as one part in the subscription service manual here.

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/market.jsp

I have had mine off and it was pretty easy, disconect the battery, release the air out of it by disconecting the line at the top. unbolt the bottom and then the bolts at the top of it.

Last edited:

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should probably start with your front end ball joints and tie rod ends. I had the same with drifting in rutted pavement. Mine still does it just a little but I can't convince the dealer to replace my bushings.....yet. Especially if your steering wheel seems to be overly influenced by the road. I doubt it is an air suspension issue.

Crap didn't see the second page before I posted...oh well.

Last edited:

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

If I do end up replacing the right rear air spring, do I need to calibrate height sensors after the change?

Trynian

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

If I do end up replacing the right rear air spring, do I need to calibrate height sensors after the change?

Probably not, should be ok unless you have to remove the sensor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9