Hitch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonA

Reaction score
didnt know that. maybe the air suspension has something to do with it. i cant imagine towing something that big without a weight distribution setup. i wonder how that would cause problems? basically all they do is distribute the weight over the entire axle instead of just the neck.

With weight distribution systems you not only have the tongue weight of the trailer putting load on the hitch but the cargo weight behind the rear axle in the vehicle as well. I think it was etrailer.com where I read a good explanation of this

Considering the wimpy design of the LR3 hitch (I think it 500# TW max?) and the possibility of heavy cargo in the rear of the truck I can see why they don't recommend them

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to remedy the problem by ordering a "blue ox" hitch extension that has a 6 in. rise. I took my Hitch haul to a local accessories store and we did some measuring and found one that cleared the bumper and got the cargo carrier up in the air some but still allowed me lower the rear hatch. The weight rating is not reduced so I can still tow anything. Be glad to share some pics if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112