how deep can you go...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meridian1

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm starting too be affected by the flooding in Ireland, would like to konw how deep my disco3 can go, no modifications. is the air in take on the side the limit. I'm not out sight seeing, will actually be cut off soon as the water is nearly 3 foot along approach road. Any advise would be appreciated.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With bigger tires (or "tyres" if you prefer over there), and a rod mod, you could add about 3-4 inches to that. I'd be comfortable up to about 31-32 inches with my setup.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's Matt taking it to the limit on one of the Great Divide trails in CO. My favorite deep water picture. :cool:
P6270068.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe key is keeping water away from the air intake on the right side of the vehicle. If you go at a nice slow deliberate speed, you will form a bow wave in front of the vehicle, that helps keep water low as it goes past the front wheel, thus, clear of the intake.

Seach Google for videos of water crossing bow wave

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the things that saved me in the crossing in Boaz's picture was the design of the airbox. The intake on the side of the car is actually lower than the entrance to the airbox. As a result, the water has to travel uphill before it would get into your engine. Though my intake was submerged in the crossing (the picture isn't of the deepest part), it was only momentary, thus I was fine. My biggest worry was that my intake was on the upstream side....

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boaz - what trail is that? Pretty awesome!

Bow wave is the key and you can ford water a little deeper than recommended if it's done properly. Speed varies on deepness of the water. One thing to be extremely cautious about is if water is running over the road, it might have eroded a stream thru the road that you cannot see and you could bury your LR3 in it. I hope you don't get cut off.

J.D.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is called the Half Moon Trail, just outside of Leadville, CO. A group of us did the trail on the GD4 this year. The water wasn't as high during the GD4 as it was when I took that picture in the spring during a Sollihul Society run. My very favorite water crossing picture for sure.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a north and a south halfmoon. That looks like the crossing just after the trail splits and heads up North halfmoon. Been camping up there. Got snowed on July 4th! But have never seen the water that deep!

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72