How do I fit a 2 5/8' tow ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been struggling with this for a week or so now. I tow a 6,000 lb boat trailer and I need to have a 2 5/8" ball. Does LR sell a htch for the LR3 that would allow me to change the size of the tow ball? Thanks.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been struggling with this for a week or so now. I tow a 6,000 lb boat trailer and I need to have a 2 5/8" ball. Does LR sell a htch for the LR3 that would allow me to change the size of the tow ball? Thanks.

Assuming you are using the the LR 2" sq reciever you can go to any autoparts store and by a Class III Ball mount and put anysize ball you wish on it.....Land Rover does sell a kit, but your going to overpay for it.....I have an aluminum ball mount that Has both 2" and 2 5/8" balls with height adjustability....

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am researching to see whether I can use this size ball on the OEM hitch receiver which I do not have yet. Looks like my est bet is to go with the Curt hitch which is priced much more reasonably. Which wiring kit do you have? 4,5, or 7 pin?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am researching to see whether I can use this size ball on the OEM hitch receiver which I do not have yet. Looks like my est bet is to go with the Curt hitch which is priced much more reasonably. Which wiring kit do you have? 4,5, or 7 pin?

The Landrover hitch assembly only provides you with the 2" sq reciever. At that point you you insert the 2" sq ball mount with what ever size ball you want on it. These are availble at any autoparts store. The landrover hitch is nothing special and you will be able to use what ever ball assembly you can on the curt hitch. I personally would never install an aftermarket hitch. I bought the land rover hitch on craigslist from a local guy for $200 and I don't think it had ever been used. The landrover wiring which you will still end up buying includes a 7pin round/Flat 4 combo connector.......

Any of the aftermarket hitches I have seen hang down below the bumper and reduce departure angle which if you plan on going offroad in it isn't a good thing. Also I don't think any of the aftermarket hitches are rated as high as the landrover hitch in carrying capacity.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan, can you please provide me with the part number for your LR hitch, they sell three or four that I know of for the LR3 from the accessory catalog that I have in front of me. The hitch that I am looking at in the catalog is LR007484, which also looks as it may reduce the exist angle. The only one I see with a fixed tow ball size is the 'Quick Release' LR bar which is part number KNB500070, and that I can't use due to the size of the ball.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan, can you please provide me with the part number for your LR hitch, they sell three or four that I know of for the LR3 from the accessory catalog that I have in front of me. The hitch that I am looking at in the catalog is LR007484, which also looks as it may reduce the exist angle. The only one I see with a fixed tow ball size is the 'Quick Release' LR bar which is part number KNB500070, and that I can't use due to the size of the ball.

Thanks.

KNB500080

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo