How long do you plan on keeping your LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the classic vehicle that you will take as far as it will take you or will you move on to an LR4 or something else when your lease is up or it's paid off?

No, the older Land Rovers fit that idea and I thought these would when they came out but the inherently prone to failure high tech items mark a big departure. I got a 96 Discovery in 2000 and still have it, with 223,000 miles and it runs smooth and has never been stranded. I got a 2004 in 2006 after getting my LR3 realizing the 04 Discovery was the very best and last of the type. Still simple enough with solid axles and springs while more refined than the 96.

The functional designs of the LR3 are what sold me, as well as the air suspension but I never gave a thought to what happens if it fails far from smooth roads or somewhere that required lift to get to in the first place. I wouldn't have spent $25,000 on modifying it had I given more thought to the whole thing, and I still love it now, but feel like it isn't a 200,000 + mile vehicle the way the 96 disco is.

All systems eventually wear out, like a rock sitting still will wear out someday, but the ones in the lr3 are going to be really pricey, not quite like basic discovery stuff, most of which has been replaced in the 96 but a ball swivel is nothing like the cost of an air suspension, or the compressor, or fiber optic wiring looms, etc, in the lr3....

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the older Land Rovers fit that idea and I thought these would when they came out but the inherently prone to failure high tech items mark a big departure. I got a 96 Discovery in 2000 and still have it, with 223,000 miles and it runs smooth and has never been stranded. I got a 2004 in 2006 after getting my LR3 realizing the 04 Discovery was the very best and last of the type. Still simple enough with solid axles and springs while more refined than the 96.

The functional designs of the LR3 are what sold me, as well as the air suspension but I never gave a thought to what happens if it fails far from smooth roads or somewhere that required lift to get to in the first place. I wouldn't have spent $25,000 on modifying it had I given more thought to the whole thing, and I still love it now, but feel like it isn't a 200,000 + mile vehicle the way the 96 disco is.

All systems eventually wear out, like a rock sitting still will wear out someday, but the ones in the lr3 are going to be really pricey, not quite like basic discovery stuff, most of which has been replaced in the 96 but a ball swivel is nothing like the cost of an air suspension, or the compressor, or fiber optic wiring looms, etc, in the lr3....

This is really right on point. In your mind you envision that "classic" truck that will run forever if you maintain it. To your point, I believe that simplicity and function are the keys. It makes you wonder if the technology (which I also love) will overtake finding that "future classic". Interesting....

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it could be that the ability to maintain catches up with the technology in the rig. Instead of a wrench and duct tape your trail kit might have to include a Faultmate and laptop!

...but I think in terms of being less susceptible to damage and real longevity the simpler the better. ...and on the other side of the coin, for shear capability I think the LR3 would destroy any similarly-equipped Disco....meaning a Disco identically modified (stock vs. stock or each with a 2" lift and tires).

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2005 LR3 HSE since new - 5 years old as of last month.

Would like to keep it at least 3 more years (will be at 100K+ miles by then), or longer if possible. Still a great family hauler and overall versatile vehicle.

The decision point for me came about a year ago as the warranty was expiring. I do not tend to keep vehicles much beyond that point, but this is still one great ride.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it could be that the ability to maintain catches up with the technology in the rig. Instead of a wrench and duct tape your trail kit might have to include a Faultmate and laptop!

...but I think in terms of being less susceptible to damage and real longevity the simpler the better. ...and on the other side of the coin, for shear capability I think the LR3 would destroy any similarly-equipped Disco....meaning a Disco identically modified (stock vs. stock or each with a 2" lift and tires).

"similarly equipped" is a fairly silly comparison considering there is no serious modification to the lr3 available. Thus, if you are going to allow it's technology such as cross valve air suspension you have to also allow full 3,4,5" lift, lockers and 35" tires on the disco.

Basically you cannot limit the Disco due to it's inherent simple nature.

However, the Disco isn;t my first choice in the modern world....it's the Mercedes G wagen, nearly as simple but built better overall. Tossing costs aside of course.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to keep mine a long time, if it is willing to be nice to me for a long time and not nickle and dime me to death.
$500 is the new nickel and $1000 is the new dime, when it comes to the LR3 :hmpf:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget serious modifications, J...that's part of my point. Once you "seriously modify" a rig it ceases to be what it was. When I see "Land Rovers" seriously modified I can't honestly call them "Discoveries" or "Range Rovers" anymore...I guess there is a line but for me once you start really changing hardware (axles, suspension, motor, etc) then you're changing the rig.

So, it's absolutely not silly to say "modest lift, tires and protective modifications" only. That way each rig maintains its identity.

OR, alternatively, you compare stock vs. stock...which is probably a truer test of vehicle capability.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS....agreed G-wagens are pretty awesome!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99