How To Jump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the AMK compressor for 3 weeks now and the indy says that tomorrow he'll have a precise DATE!!! absolute ****, but to be fair I've never met a mechanic that isn't (at least not in Mexico or England)

Anyhow, my question is:
Can I jump start the compressor? my old one doesn't start and I get an immediate suspension fault.
Lucky me I have 2 cars, but still I want to be able to drive my way to the compressor change

Also, in the event that the indy **** hasn't even ordered the compressor :mad::mad::mad:
Is this a plug and play complete kit? or is it missing a something?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Suspens...34003404?hash=item25a22329cc&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

Last edited:

schwaggy

Reaction score
That one is missing the outer box. Can be argued you don't need one, but I'd want one. Call Lucky8 and order theirs. Everything is included and it's a Genuine LR kit.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brilliant, my indy may be able to get it this week tho...
otherwise I will indeed buy that one hahaha, thanks !!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the AMK compressor for 3 weeks now and the indy says that tomorrow he'll have a precise DATE!!! absolute ****, but to be fair I've never met a mechanic that isn't (at least not in Mexico or England)

What the hell is wrong with you? You sound very upset for some reason but nothing you said accounts for calling a mechanic "****".

Did it ever occur to you that the AMK source may have supply issues or other complications?

Do you not have a LR dealer nearby?

Last edited:

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with you? You sound very upset for some reason but nothing you said accounts for calling a mechanic "****".

Did it ever occur to you that the AMK source may have supply issues or other complications?

Do you not have a LR dealer nearby?

The guy did not even order the compressor!!!! 3 weeks after he said he'd get it he went on vacations and then came back and told me that he hasn't ordered it yet.
I think him making me lose one bloody MONTH is a pretty good reason, not to mention he's tried to mislead me into unnecessary stuff more than once.

The dealership is just as dishonest but at like 3x the price. You my mate have no idea of the **** mechanics are down here, they're basically as crooked as it gets. It's hard to believe really

EDIT: anyhow, can I jump the compressor or should I call the breakdown lorry

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: anyhow, can I jump the compressor or should I call the breakdown lorry

Well then, that really does sound like a terrible situation.

First, have you verified which compressor model/brand is under your vehicle and also if it actually needs a full replacement?

If you change from Hitachi to AMK, there is then required programming or something. This may be able to be done using the GAPIIDtool. Do you have that item yet? Being wherever you are with less good help means you really should have the ability to diagnose codes and also do minor programming.

I think you also need to seek out TLT on this forum as well as any other more mechanically inclined owners here or on Disco Web who can help.

As was mentioned you can buy the compressor yourself, and even with a good mechanic, you might have wanted to just to save the hassle of them trying figure out the right one or where from. For example, I think Arnott still sells one for the lr3 but of course the usual sources also do like Lucky8, Atlantic British, and Rovers North.

About the "jumping" the compressor, I don't have any idea what you mean. They are powered by the wiring going into them through the plugs. Do you mean it has a fault on the dash and won't run or lift? As I said above, the IIDtool can clear codes and situations sometimes that stop the system from working, sort of like resetting a computer. Well, exactly like that actually.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the hitachi right now and will change for the AMK, either that one on the ebay or some like lucky8 etc.
The mechanic said he would get the AMK and update the ECU etc. for a reasonable price, I am annoyed because now my compressor doesn't even run and it was supposed to have the new AMK by now.

by jumping it I mean jumpstarting it, as in forcing it to turn on bypassing any other stupid faults or whatever it is that stops it from starting. As I type this, the LR3 flashes the yellow suspension light as soon as the engine starts running and the compressor is dead

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the hitachi right now and will change for the AMK, either that one on the ebay or some like lucky8 etc.
The mechanic said he would get the AMK and update the ECU etc. for a reasonable price, I am annoyed because now my compressor doesn't even run and it was supposed to have the new AMK by now.

by jumping it I mean jumpstarting it, as in forcing it to turn on bypassing any other stupid faults or whatever it is that stops it from starting. As I type this, the LR3 flashes the yellow suspension light as soon as the engine starts running and the compressor is dead

Ok, I see. I also really feel your pain in this!

Where ARE you located? Order the GAP IIDtool. Now, "as you sit there" ;) I think roughly $400 is the avg price for the non-bluetooth version which I have.

It's possible the tool would make it all work again after clearing the codes? But maybe not. Either way, you need to have the tool!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a bad compressor, wiring or relay. If the compressor does not run, then you are not going to get it to run.

You might be able to install an air connector on the air tank and air it up short term. There are other methods which will take longer to add an emergency air up system. Of course if you choose to try and air up the tank, you will need to remove the air suspension fuses.

Drop me a line and I can get you manuals and send you the links to the backup air system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635