HSE vs HSE-Lux Leather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the poor man's version - 2012 LR4 Base. That being said I have the base leather package. I have 32,000 miles and my leather shows absolutely so signs of wear at all. I condition every quarter, but not a big deal. It's held up really well. I think it's sportier and more durable than that fancy stuff y'all have! ;-)

Well, my ass is allergic to low grade leather. My doctor told me to try and stick with Windsor leather to avoid issues.

:wink:

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my ass is allergic to low grade leather. My doctor told me to try and stick with Windsor leather to avoid issues.

:wink:

Without knowing any additional details, sounds like the $1000 option is a no-brainer.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two 2013's, an HSE and an HSE LUX. The leather in the LUX is called Windsor Leather and is a cut above the HSE leather. More supple and the sewing and appearance is a bit upgraded from the standard HSE leather. I have the Ivory in the LUX with the piano black wood trim and it really stands out. Amazingly, it does not seem to retain the dirt like I thought it would. My spouse has the Almond Leather and it seems to get dirtier although it is a darker color. I believe the Windsor leather is a finer grain and may have a better finish. The extra cost may have brought out the best in the hide lot!

As for the extended leather package, I don't see that it's worth all the extra money. The leather is best in wear areas, such as seats. Otherwise, it's almost wasted in my opinion. I've had cars with great leather interiors, some of the best from Europe and the US, but I can't say any were better fit and finished than the LR4. This makes the BMW's pale in comparison. Strangely, the ONLY one that came close (don't laugh) was a Pontiac GTO from Holden in Australia. The only great recent super performance coupe that GM had put together. You could get lost in that leather interior; it was that good. Of course. the car was only made for three years (2004-2006) so that tells you few bought them at the silly pricing...except me and a few others. And they were really poor off-road performers!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have two 2013's, an HSE and an HSE LUX. The leather in the LUX is called Windsor Leather and is a cut above the HSE leather. More supple and the sewing and appearance is a bit upgraded from the standard HSE leather. I have the Ivory in the LUX with the piano black wood trim and it really stands out. Amazingly, it does not seem to retain the dirt like I thought it would. My spouse has the Almond Leather and it seems to get dirtier although it is a darker color. I believe the Windsor leather is a finer grain and may have a better finish. The extra cost may have brought out the best in the hide lot!

As for the extended leather package, I don't see that it's worth all the extra money. The leather is best in wear areas, such as seats. Otherwise, it's almost wasted in my opinion. I've had cars with great leather interiors, some of the best from Europe and the US, but I can't say any were better fit and finished than the LR4. This makes the BMW's pale in comparison. Strangely, the ONLY one that came close (don't laugh) was a Pontiac GTO from Holden in Australia. The only great recent super performance coupe that GM had put together. You could get lost in that leather interior; it was that good. Of course. the car was only made for three years (2004-2006) so that tells you few bought them at the silly pricing...except me and a few others. And they were really poor off-road performers!
I completely agree. As I said earlier, I had the HSE leather on my 2011 and now have the HSE Lux on my 2013. I have the Arabica seats on my 2013 and had Almond on my 2011, but the Windsor leather just seems to be a step up in quality and durability. My 2011 HSE leather was great, but it definitely did not wear as well as the HSE Lux leather.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to take a close look and touch the extended leather package to appreciate the workmanship and realize why they charge a grand for it. The precise twin stitching alone, over instrument cluster binnacle, dash and window sills, is really beautiful. The grain matches the seats' exactly. The surfaces wrapped in leather feel soft and supple to the touch and never get overly warm (or cold.) Every guest that's jumped in my car so far has commented on it, "Wow, is that leather?!?" Is that the easiest way to save $1000 on this car's options list? Definitely, although if I could give back one option I'd probably go with Sirius / HD radio before extended leather myself... HD radio is pretty good but the crappy sound quality of Sirius is worth maybe 20 bucks to me, not $750. :biggrin: Luckily, I had a lifetime subscription I foolishly signed up for when Sirius used to sound good (in the very beginning of sat radio, when they didn't compress everything to smithereens) and was able to transfer it to the LR4 for just 50 bucks.

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to take a close look and touch the extended leather package to appreciate the workmanship and realize why they charge a grand for it. The precise twin stitching alone, over instrument cluster binnacle, dash and window sills, is really beautiful. The grain matches the seats' exactly. The surfaces wrapped in leather feel soft and supple to the touch and never get overly warm (or cold.) Every guest that's jumped in my car so far has commented on it, "Wow, is that leather?!?" Is that the easiest way to save $1000 on this car's options list? Definitely, although if I could give back one option I'd probably go with Sirius / HD radio before extended leather myself... HD radio is pretty good but the crappy sound quality of Sirius is worth maybe 20 bucks to me, not $750. :biggrin: Luckily, I had a lifetime subscription I foolishly signed up for when Sirius used to sound good (in the very beginning of sat radio, when they didn't compress everything to smithereens) and was able to transfer it to the LR4 for just 50 bucks.
I would like to see a photo of the dash in extended leather. Just to see what it compares to with out leather.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a photo of the dash in extended leather. Just to see what it compares to with out leather.

Agreed, I happen to find one 2014 that had the option but the dealer pictures were not very good.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to pile on. My only regret now was not getting a Lux leather truck when I ordered every other option. I'd say get it.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Sirius radio but it seeme every LR4 in the world gets that option at the dealers behest whether you want it or not. I have had 8 cars with it and all the subscriptions expired and never renewed. Useless to me when I have Gigs of music on flash drives or Hard Drives built in and a good radio anyway. I do like the 825 watt system...wonder what happened to the Meridian music system? One of our previous LR's had the Meridian system and both new ones have the Harmon-Kardon systems, one the 325 and the other the 825 watt.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the Sirius radio but it seeme every LR4 in the world gets that option at the dealers behest whether you want it or not. I have had 8 cars with it and all the subscriptions expired and never renewed. Useless to me when I have Gigs of music on flash drives or Hard Drives built in and a good radio anyway. I do like the 825 watt system...wonder what happened to the Meridian music system? One of our previous LR's had the Meridian system and both new ones have the Harmon-Kardon systems, one the 325 and the other the 825 watt.

A bit off topic, but I think we beat the leather topic to death.

I for one like having Sirius in my LR4. On long trips its great. I also have usb sticks with mp3, but for a set it and forget it type thing, its fine. Doesnt sound cd quality, but its a lot nicer than terrestrial radio.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac