I need to remove the stereo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jlb86550

Is there a way to pull the dash trim out to get to the stereo. i am wanting to pull the factory stereo to replace with a kenwood kdc-x689 in a 2002 discoII. i've pulled the ashtray and change holder and removed the screws behind them. i still can't get it loose. any insight is appreciated. thanks.

J

jpperry

I'm not sure if this is much help, but you don't need to take the dash off to get the stereo out. There should be two slots on the bottom of the stereo and there is a special tool that most car audio places would carry that slides in those slots and unlocks the stereo so you can slide it out. I made my own by cutting some thin strips of approx. 1/32" steel. Just just have to wiggle them around a bit to feel it unlock and then pull the stereo straight out. This is on an '01 Disco II.

Last edited by a moderator:

witecaphyr4u

Reaction score
I used two jig saw blades. My radio was in pretty tight, so it took some pulling but it fanally came out.

cs

J

JerryT

how would you remove the radio in a 1996 Discovery. It has two round holes in the radio.

thanks,
JT

Z

zenguy

JerryT said:
how would you remove the radio in a 1996 Discovery. It has two round holes in the radio.

thanks,
JT

For round holes, try a metal clothing hanger or wood shish kabob skewers.

Nico

Reaction score
First pull off the volume knob and slowly work the faceplate off. This will expose the two screws that hold the stereo in on both sides. Use a small allen wrench to undo these and pull the stereo out. The stereo will emit a beeping sound while you do this. Make sure you have your radio codes handy.

A

All4Traction

for the 96, take a coat hanger,and put an end in each hole, and push the hanger to the outside and pull the deck out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink