Idler Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched and searched this forum and I cannot find anything regarding the Idler pulley screaming like a wildcat. My 05 LR3 with 80,000 starting the horrific screaming noise the other day. Has anyone had this problem? Should I not drive until I change it? I am also not 100% it is coming from the pulley, but I took a screwdriver and tried to locate the possibility of the sound coming from anywhere else and it appears to be coming from the idler tension pulley. Any insight or advice would be great.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the belt off... Spin the idler pully by hand. If it is noisy or notchy feeling as you turn it, replace it....

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing that now. How the hell do I remove the fan clutch assembly?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing that now. How the hell do I remove the fan clutch assembly?

I generally use an air hammer to pop that big nut loose (Revearsed Thread too). I haven't had to do belts yet on an LR3 do you have to remove the fan clutch to do that?? Should be able to just slide the belt off and spin the idler around...

chomondely

Reaction score
Pulley

Replaced twice under the extended warranty in my 2006 LR3 V^, 81,000 miles.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, bearings in pulley where shot. Found replacement at advanced auto for 15 bucks. I am still wondering how the viscous fan comes off. Might be good to know in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo