Installing hitch mount bike rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume the bike rack is for when you can drive the truck again ;)

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, and I use a Specialized RockHopper XXL

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Thule T2 916xtr is the 2".
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-916XTR-...&qid=1372213638&sr=8-5&keywords=thule+bike+t2

Works great on my expensive road bikes and really well with the heavier mountain bikes.

Also like the ability to add two more bikes for the kids. This of course is an add on and comes at an additional cost. I have the old LR adapter so had to purchase an extension so I could fold the rack up if needed.

I never liked the racks that hold by the frame, carbon frames are not cheap!:eek:

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, plus with the rear suspension setup it would involve those telescoping arm adaptors which just scream trouble.

Kaaae- I bribe my friends with letting them drive the truck to take me to the trails / errands haha

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stopped at REI and picked up the Thule Apex swing 4 bike rack. I was surprised how heavy it is. Being a petite 5', I'm not sure I'll be able to install it by myself. And I was also disappointed to see that 3 of the 4 bikes I would likely carry will need the adapter bar to fit on the rack. It was a good price on sale, and got good reviews. I'll play with it this weekend and make a decision on whether or not to keep it.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stopped at REI and picked up the Thule Apex swing 4 bike rack. I was surprised how heavy it is. Being a petite 5', I'm not sure I'll be able to install it by myself. And I was also disappointed to see that 3 of the 4 bikes I would likely carry will need the adapter bar to fit on the rack. It was a good price on sale, and got good reviews. I'll play with it this weekend and make a decision on whether or not to keep it.

If you need the adapters, you must either have TT bikes or mountain bikes. Either way, if you've got nice bikes with odd frames, you'd probably want to go with a tray-style rack.

obdoc

Reaction score
I got my hitch receiver on ebay. I have a Saris CycleOn Pro. Great platform rack. Super stable. It is a bit heavy, but very solid. They also sell an expansion pack to go to 4 bikes. Also, made in the USA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635