Instrument Cluster isnt lit anymore when lights are on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

AaronATX

This weekend the gauge cluster in my 98' discovery ceased to be backlit when the headlights are turned on. Looked around in the manual to find the fuse for it, IIRC it was #14. Pulled it and it looks fine.

Is there another fuse I should be looking for? Also, i'm pretty sure the manual said that the fuse also was shared by the indash clock, which works. So I guess its possible a bulb blew?

Bleh.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible it's a bulb, but check other, strange fuses -- like, the hi-beam / low beam fuses, the brake light fuse, the radio fuse. Might as well check 'em all...then post up and let us know if anything changed...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure that when the headlights are on, that the tail lights are on (if tail lights are off, the the headlight stalk is bad).... normally when the dash lights do not work, the headlight stalk has gone bad. There is a fix, but I found that it didn't work well for me, and finally just changed the stalk.

S

smashface

I realize that it is late, but does the backligth turn on at all? Ive noticed a problem that looks like it might be associated with the travel of the switch. If I dont turn the switch to 100 and instead go to a 90% travel, my backlight goes on.

R

rovermaine98

Major electrical lighting problems...

joey said:
Make sure that when the headlights are on, that the tail lights are on (if tail lights are off, the the headlight stalk is bad).... normally when the dash lights do not work, the headlight stalk has gone bad. There is a fix, but I found that it didn't work well for me, and finally just changed the stalk.

What is the headlight stalk... i am having the very same problem that you are with my discovery. The headlights work but the tail lights only work when the really dim headlights are on(only one click forward). The brake lights work. The interior backlights only work when the "dim" headlights are on. and now my rear fog lights and cruise control isnt working... do you have any ideas?? a while ago only one headlight would work and it seemed to have miraculously fixed itself. It used to be that the interior backlights would come on after 30 seconds or so after turning the headlights on, but now they dont work at all.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem on my 98,

At the 3rd click, where all lights should be on (For night driving) force one more click out of it.

It will feel like you are going to break it, but it will click one more time and then come to an even stiffer stop once you are as far as you can go. Hopefully your lights will come on.

Let me know if this works for either of you.

Rich

C

cirus

Oh yes, im living in the dark as well, my gauge cluster lights is out and when I turn on my head lights the back lights dont come on, but then there is a switch with a light symbol on it just left of the steering wheel that I leave on so when ever I put the head lights on the back ones go on as well..
Chris

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
when you turn on the headlights, if the dash lights and running lights (parking lights) do not come on then the issue is the headlight switch/stalk.

R

rovermaine98

This is simply a problem with the actual switch. The connections become corroded and u can either clean it by taking it apart yourself, or get someone to fix it. My local mechanic ordered in the part and it ended up costing me around $300. About $150 cheaper than what the dealer would do it for.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered a brand new part, replaced it myself for less then $90 with shipping

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member