Intake Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteezTight

Reaction score
I drive a 96' disco and am looking for a way to get a little bit better gas mileage and possibly some more power. I have been looking around at all of the intake options and saw this cold air intake system on EBAY that seems too good to be true. I have read lots about cold air intakes and know that they get mixed reviews. .Could anyone help me in deciding if it is worth purchasing and some other options that I might have. The link to the item is posted below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAND-RANGE-ROVE...ryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a little grumpy, a 1996 Disco is a dog. You'd be better off running better sparkplug wires, and maybe high octane gas, than spending that amount of money on a new intake tube.

If those things really made that much difference, don't you think that LR would design the air intake like that in the first place?

skyguy

Reaction score
I can tell you from first hand experience with several vehicles over the years that it will not work at all without adding a high flow exhaust system. Most vehicles also need a chip to see any real gains despite the intake and exhaust. Not sure about the disco needing a chip but if it were me I would save my money as the gains you would see are small at best.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Best way to get better fuel economy out of a Rover is buy a Toyota Prius as a Daily driver.... Sorry but nothing will really improve fuel economy.

SteezTight

Reaction score
so i understand that theres no hope for better gas mileage but do you think that puting on an aftermarket exhaust system (borla) would help with the performance enough to be worth $600? and does anybody know about a the chip and if it actually works?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
$600 for an exhaust, what is it $400 for a chip... so $1000 for about 20hp... that is alot of money for 20hp, I have a true freeflow exhaust, and a cold air intake just don't have the chip yet. But I will tell anyone that asks the for the money it isn't worth it for the performance.

Think of it this way.... People spend hundreds of dollars on male enhancement drugs, you know the comercial.... how many people that buy that and it doesn't work are going to admit it?

Will the chip work, I am sure it helps or does something. Does it do enough to make it worth $400 I couldn't tell you. Have I thought of getting it.... sure will I, not sure yet. But if I do I will let whoever asks know how well it works.

Headers with free flow exhaust.... worked and works great till I add the heavy bumper and over sized tires.

Cold Air intake... didn't notice any difference.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo