Interested in '03 or '04 Disco; Trim level options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an '05 LR3 and love it. my wife has gotten the rover bug after doing a bit of off roading with me and now she wants a disco. i am interested in buying her an '03 or '04 disco, but i can't really find good info about the differences in the trim levels, S, SE, HSE. are the differences solely wheel options, bumper color, and interior finish? are there any differences regarding the locker situation? also, air suspension vs springs? on the LR3 the only real off road option when purchasing it is a heavy duty package that comes with a rear locker. i bought mine used and didn't get the rear locker, but in retrospect wish i had. i don't want to make the same mistake on my wife's future rig as we do plan on using it to wheel some and want to make sure we don't make a choice that limits us down the road. much thanks in advance!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend the 04 over the 03 (less issues)

But as far as trim, basically with or without sunroofs, type of radio and seats a few bells and whistles, but not much really.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mike asked a great question. answer that question first.
the big difference between the 03 & 04 ?
04 models has the locking diff. !!!
04 roof bars are thicker. :)

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i should have been a bit more clear with my thought process. if we buy a disco it will initially just be my wife's daily driver with plans to turn into a trail rig in the future.

with the LR3 there is only one real factory option that affects off road capabilities and that is getting the heavy duty package which includes the rear locker. my LR3 sans rear locker has really impressed me offroad, but i do wish i had picked up one with the rear locker as they can't be added on aftermarket.

i didn't want to run across a good deal on an '04 disco, buy it, and realize that i should have been looking for one with "x" option that would allow better off road capabilities in the future.

thanks for the help guys!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 04 has a factory Center Diff Lock which the 03 does not have.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find an 03 that does not have a possible bad engine per Rover's vin. advisery, and get it for $8000 give or take and the rest of the truck checks out, then go for it.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the advise found on this forum. I was in the same position as you with a '97 disco junker purchased without this forum. I took the advise found here (the guys up above) and bought an immaculate 04 Disco w 65K for $9.4K. I like it.

There are lots of them coming off lease now and were driven by suits in local commutes. Of course any Disco needs a complete checkup prior to a writing a check. Plan on spending hundreds for the right tools to perform the checkup. I found a guy who could inspect it right and I passed on several before finding a good one.

Bait the seller. I said "I need to make frequent fast runs to NYC and will it cruise at 80 MPH." The seller fell all over himself telling me how he would "cruise at 80 and above for hours on the interstate." I passed on that one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635