Intermittent Oil Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 SE 7
137000 miles

Every couple of years or so my oil light starts to flicker when idling. I found that this was being caused by a clogged oil strainer which is located in the sump, or oil pan. To clean it you have to drop the pan but if you do it you will be amazed at the amount of gunk and sludge in the pan.

Before dropping the pan I am going to run a can of pre-oil change (Risolene) sludge remover for about 10 minutes then drain.

Just something to think about if this is happening to anyone else. It's a messy job but your engine will thank you.

Does anyone think I should run Seafoam through the engine before draining?

Thanks,

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is happening you, I would first consider changing the quality of my oil as well as how often I change it. I would also consider doing a oil pressure test, cold at idlle and 2000 RPM's as well as hot at idle and 2000 RPM's. You may also want to consider replacing the oil pump with a new kit either because the pump is warn or cracked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9