iPhone Cable Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkrichter

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I finally have some news to report. After leaving two voicemails with my dealership last week, I decided to just show up this morning and ask for some help. I'm not going to complain, this dealership usually takes good care of me, but it was a little frustrating to not hear back from them.

The guy I spoke with really didn't have too much information on whether LR will be coming out with a lightning cable. He basically said, "I wouldn't see why they wouldn't, but I haven't heard anything so it still might be awhile." So, I decided to just get the standard 30 pin they had in stock. I'm happy to report that it works great. With the new iTunes Match and iTunes Radio, I have my entire library at my hands plus a Pandora-like radio all from my phone. One suggestion I would make is if you have to buy the adapter for an iPhone 5+, get the cable adapter. I had the non-cable adapter and it doesn't fit my case and the LR iPhone cable kept pulling it out of my phone, disconnecting it. I immediately stopped at the nearest Radioshack and exchanged it for the cable adapter and had no problems whatsoever. It also seems to be able to play MP4's and other media files, not just MP3's like the USB stick, so that is a very nice, time-saving fact. My cost for the LR cable was $103 after tax. I'd be interested to hear how that compares to most of you. What a ripoff haha.

If you have been hesitant to spend the money on one of these iPhone cables because of the cost, I think it really is worth it (ok not really, but it costs what it costs and nothing can be done about it) with the new iTunes that Apple has released. Having your entire library plus internet radio and being able to control it from your touchscreen/steering wheel is a real pleasure.

I'm going to recommend going through LR though and don't buy any you see on the internet for half the cost or whatever the case might be. Mine did not work and now I have to see what the return policy is, hoping there is one.

Good day.

mchenrytl

Reaction score
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know, I plan on going the same route for my 2011 LR4.

-Troy

EBARRY51

Reaction score
FYI, I have the official LR cable to 30 pin and the official Apple short cord adapter for my 2010 LR4 and I get the device error information. Worse still, it puts my iPhone 5 into some sort of Dock Connector mode that it does not exit on its own. I need actually reboot the phone to get it out of Dock Connector mode, or else it will no longer make any sounds from the speaker because it still thinks it is connected to something.

I will be asking the dealer to swap the cord for me and see if that helps.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the same setup and do not have this issue.
You most likely have a defective socket or cable. Or maybe you need to get your radio modules updated.
iPhone 5S and 5.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use the official LR 30-pin cable --> Apple short cord lightning adapter --> iPhone 5s and it works perfectly. No problems at all.

Drareve

Reaction score
I also use the official LR 30-pin cable --> Apple short cord lightning adapter --> iPhone 6 and it did works perfectly. I mainly used it to listen to audible and amazon music and online music.

It stopped working when I cancelled my subscription to Apple Music and deleted my library including the U2 album that was offered for free several years ago.

I know the cable connection is working because it detects when it has been unplugged. Also when it is connected the handset is recognised as "iphone" but when I select play I will momentarily hear the track (1/4 second) and then it stops and the console on the entertainmant System reports "Device Error".

The workaround is to add a track to the Apple Music library.

The problem can be replicated using the same vehicle and other iPhone4, 5 and 6S handsets.

There is an apparent interface protocol issue between the LR and the apple. Resetting the handsets to factory default has no effect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72