Is it a leaking passenger side valve cover gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZRoverLR4wm

Reaction score
IMG_7851.jpeg
IMG_7850.jpeg
IMG_7840.jpeg
IMG_7827.jpeg
I am in the process of changing over most of the cooling system in my 2014 LR4 HSE LUX- my vehicle has about 98,000 miles, and I know this was done once before. Had a coolant “smell”, nothing visible, so just decided to be proactive and change everything. Front crossover pipe, Rear heater manifold, water pump, thermostat, and lots of hoses.
On the passenger side of my vehicle I notice what looks like oil. It’s not dripping, but it’s just crusty looking. I’m wondering if it could be coolant, or whether I have a valve cover leak. I’m not sure. I already have the intercooler and the supercharger off. Wonder if I should go for the valve cover gasket, or if I’m just being paranoid. I have heard this seems to be a common problem..
What would the experts say based on what they see in these pictures? thanks for all your thoughts and support.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the oil is coming from but I wouldn't let that go. It should be cleaned and fixed. I'd try to clean the area under the front cross over pipe where it goes into the block too.

AZRoverLR4wm

Reaction score
Yes it will all be cleaned before the new pipes go on. On the passenger side area- I’m wondering if that actually is oil, or if it’s just caused by leaking coolant. I just don’t know. My gut tells me it’s probably oil, but I’m not sure how difficult it is to actually change the valve cover gasket. It seems like to do the gasket you need to do all the work I’ve already done- removing the intercooler and supercharger etc. So it’s probably valid to jump on that as well. Just trying to validate that it needs to be done..

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally wipe it with my finger and inspect it for color, texture and smell. I can't see from here but its plausible the leak is at the end of the cross over and moves forward. First rule of plumbing is **** runs uphill.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I highly recommend replacing all your cooling components with oem.

If you're replacing your valve cover gaskets, you're halfway to the timing chains. I've had good luck with Elwis gaskets, they've been good to me.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaking passenger valve cover gaskets seem to be common on this forum and I don't know why. My last LR4 had it but it was small enough I ignored it. It also depends on if its leaking ON to anything. Mine was in the back so not really leaking on to anything that mattered.

AZRoverLR4wm

Reaction score
Good points made here. Thank you. All components being replaced are 100% OEM. The leak seems “minimal”.. I will do the wipe and smell test.. didn’t really think about that.
Seems to be one of those issues like “ I did this so I might as well keep going.. cooling repair, valve cover gaskets, timing chains.. etc etc.
Not sure of the complexity or where my skill set will run out. I hear no noise with the timing chains. But IF it is a valve cover leak, sounds like it can lead to alternator failure, etc..
still trying to decide if I want to jump into the valve cover replacement… if the intercooler and Supercharger are off, how hard is it to change the passenger valve cover gasket? Has anyone done that?

BBLR3

Reaction score
The sides near the exhaust manifold get hard and brittle and start leaking. That far into it, I'd replace both passenger and drivers valve cover gaskets. May as well do the spark plugs and PCV on the passenger valve cover too since that will go soon at some point Remove the plastic housing/trim just to the top left/right of the valve cover to gain access to the rear most bolts. Pull fuel rail, coils, move wiring, pull injectors, pull valve cover. New gaskets, injector seals and reverse operation to reinstall. I too have used Elwis gaskets and injector seals obtained from Amazon without any issue at all.

John Higgins

Reaction score
I had my PAX valve cover gasket replaced under (extended) warranty at 98K miles.
5 miles later it went back for the valve cover itself (plus another gasket). The dealership had recommended doing the valve cover first time around but the extended warranty company wasn't having any of it. The dealership's argument was that the covers can warp and may not reseat properly. Seems they were right.

I redid that same valve cover gasket myself recently at 126K as the timing chain cover had developed a leak (needs the valve cover removed to do it right). This time around the valve cover was fine with only 30K miles on it. . If you're on 90K with original valve covers; I'd budget for the cover as well as the gasket.

And yes, my tardniess in fixing the leaky PAX timing chain cover did lead to my alternator failing a few weeks later.

The fun never ends. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd