Is it o.k......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

Isit ok to run the landy for a short time w/o the o2 sensor in it, i am sure it will throw a code but will it do any damage. Finally got the o2 sesor but its the wrong size, pulled drivers side matched them up and it wasnt even close. Am expecting others in a day ot two, and dont feel like reinstalling the bad one. Watdaya think.????
1995 landy D1 100k :argh:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You tried to get cheap ones, arent you... :)

Better reinstall old one, it will not take long, but overwise your entire cabin may be full of uncleaned exhaust gas, plus you will look suspicios for all the cops, and depending on state you may get in serious troubles for bypassing cat convertors in such a weird way.

Plus there may be some issues without O2 sending data to ECU -- can get too rich/too thin mixture and all sorts of other nasty things.

L

LandyLight

Thanx Sergei, YES I GOT CHEAP ONES learned leason on that real quick, ordered real ones today should be here in two days. Thanks for the reply oh all knowing Sergei. Us old disco owners have to stick together. :bandit:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not all knowing.. I am following my trial and error path :) Just do it very actively :)

As of cheap O2 sensors - i just remember Joey making that attempt a while ago, and results were posted on old Dweb.. )

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I remember that too.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I remember that too Sergei! NEVER EVER GO CHEAP on 02 Sensors unless you are an electrician!!! And/or you know how to wire those things up.. I think John (Ares) tried the cheap ones too and had many problems with them as well.
Just my 0.02 cents of course.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ditto that joey. give nathan a call at discount rovers. 502.876.8377. He'll set you up with the right sensor at the right price the first time.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run without O2 sensors

Landy Light, it's ok to run without the O2 sensors, the ECU will go into failure mode and give you a fixed fuel/air ratio. You will end up with a fault code. You should plug the **** holes before driving, your fuel mileage will go down and it's going to make the cats run hotter, not a good idea. Carl....o&o>.....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
John, don't worry I did call Nathan and he got them out to me the same day... Had them installed before the week was out.

Just got done doing the rear brakes and rotors got them from him as well..

Back to subject at hand. I would rather run the old ones that may not work well, then just have plugs in the holes. Not only will the fuel economy drop drastically, but you could very well be replacing those CATs in very fast order. Lots of things **** them, and excessive fuel is one of those things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72