Is it o.k......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

Hey guys and gals thanx so much for all the info about these o2 sensors. Got the new ones installed em in 1.5 hours and ran the rover for about 15 min and no codes on the box good call MIKE, it is already idleing better and it doesnt smell rich when i start it up.
One question though, i pulled the drivers side it was white and did need to be changed im sure, but when i pulled the pass. side the one that was throwing the code it was BLACK as sin. Is there a problem witht that back or is there something i need to tend to or is it just bad for awhile and thats what happens???????? :bandit: :bandit:

D

discomike

Yes, there is a problem, on both sides. The white side could be fuel additive related which is not too bad or it could be coolant. The black side is fouled because it is running too rich, could be bad plugs or wire or a sticky injector, valves, you name it. Better look at it a little closer.
Mike J.

L

LandyLight

Mike , about the reply 95 disco 1,100k chnged plugs,wires,fuel,oil,air filters,dist.,rotor. Would a sticky vavle cause engine noise, b/c my 3.9l purrs like a little kitty cat, even under load accel. there is no knocking or hesitation. When I changed the plugs on the passenger bank which was the black side the did not look like the were all that bad normal wear not burned out with oil deposit on them. I had posted ealier about fuel injectors and I have a feeling that it may be injectors.
About these induction cleaners e.i. seafoam, B&G for Sergei I am not sure what these products do, pouring liquid into ehgine to clean it out does that not screw up your plugs, o2 sensors, cats... Just curious???? Do you think i should do one of these cleanings before going injector route. Up until now I have never heard of these cleanings I am 28 yrs old and a pretty darn good back yard mechanic, are these cleanerins a last resort to make your engine run better or is it just a LANDY thing. ;}
:albertein

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of those cleaners that you have been talking about have been around for years. I know I started using Seafoam 12 or so years ago and had BG44 ran through an 1986 Chrysler that I used to own, it did wonders on how that car ran.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam, in general you can do pretty similar effect by spraying a tad bit of water in there.. What happens is that liquid evaporates in very high temperature and sort of steam-washing insides. All extra stuff they putting in those cleaners helps to wash out carbon and gunk a bit better (analogue - steam vacuumer can work nice with water, but works better with solvent). Also unlike just plain water they are burning out afterwards as well, so all that stuff they washing out is taken away by exhaust in form of those black clouds - i.e air with dirty particles in it.

It is of course harder on O2, cats and muffles when you do it, but that isnt going on for long enought to seriously damage them. It is eventually worse for them to have undeburned mixture in same form (cloud formed by air + particles) for prolonged periods of time,.

D

discomike

Adam,
The whole idea around using these additives in out Rovers is that they will cut down the carbon build up the our engines are known to have toooo much of.
I always suggest 3 cans, one in the tank, one in the engine oil and the other to be fed through the induction system.
Try the Sea Foam first, it is the least expensive, if it doesn't work all the way then we can talk about th 44K.
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you wind up getting the real ones, and for how much?

D

discomike

Thanks Sam, I don't think I was paying attention.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72