Is It Worth It To Replace The 02 Freelander Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freelander 303

Reaction score
Hi,

My 02 is standing by in the garage, the car runs, but allehedly the engine is cracked (but I can still drive it wich makes no sense then what LR dealert told me abou tthe cracked engine). There are used engines online for roughly 4K. Is it worth it to replace the engine alongside a new coolant? I am afraid the overheating will happen again, so why bother to put a new engine...
Let me know...
Cheers
Daniel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why LR says you engine is cracked, unless it is overheating a lot....

Replacing the engine... only if you can source a diesel or find a mounting plate for another engine other than the LR one... Sadly the Freelander engines are not very sound.

Freelander 303

Reaction score
Worth it to replace engine

Well, the coolant was leaking water somewhere, and there was a constant click noise in the engine. The car still drives but LR told me it can stop anytime because the engine is cracked and cannot be repaired, needs replacement. I am confused, cracked engines are supposed to drive even for 1 minute?
But my question is, A replaced low-mileage used engine, will also lead to an overheating cooland and thus blow again?
There are advertising a cooling kit for freelander in ebay that says it is the solution...

Please, any inputs are greatly appreciated
Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Looked at the cooling kit... sadly all it shows is some wiring. Not worth a penny if it is just wires that do who knows what.

Drive it... check fluids daily and always keep a gallon of premixed antifreeze with you.

Trade it in if you can maybe they will not notice...

If you read on here even if you fix the engine, the transmission on the freelanders will be the next issue. It was Fords idea for a mass produced Land Rover, it didn't work out.

fordsbluerover

Reaction score
Hey 303 I have a 02 Freelander I am looking to sell the engine out of. It has 78,000 miles on it. Let me know if your interested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112