Is SAI drawing that much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roby466

Reaction score
I just finished doing the lower intake gasket, rocker cover gaskets, plugs and wires on my 2004 DII.
Before I did the job I thought I could hear the SAI scream the last few weeks. But once the work was done I don't anymore and I get the SAI code.
So I thought it could be leaking or I missed a cable but here is what it does.
Most times I guess the SAI does not come on when it's really cold. After clearing the code it took a few days before it returned. Last time I saw it come, just before it did, i saw the headlights dim a few times for half a second as if the relay tried to run the SAI pump but it was seized. If the bearings were seized one SAI pump, would it draw that much amperage that it would slightly dim the headlights?

Roby466

Reaction score
Well the lights did some dimming / pulsing today so I popped the bonnet and put my hand on the SAI pump and each time the lights would dim momentarily I would feel the pump jitter a bit kind of like if a solenoid had activated. It starts to really look like the pump is seized.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it has gone bad to me.

Roby466

Reaction score
It does. Do you know i I can still drive the truck once I have removed the pump? I rebuilt the one on my audi allroad last year so I figure this one probably needs the same: bearings. But I need to be able to drive the truck the few days it will be off.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it can be driven or not, I know it will cause a ton of engine codes. Never tried to drive with it off, but if it isn't working I would say give it a try.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72