Is this a failing crossover pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the rear crossover is way more of a pain, so is 20k on the rear too soon to worry?
I would think so, unless it was poorly installed. If there's no leak from that area I wouldn't worry about it.
There's currently a very slight leak form the radiator- assuming it would make sense to replace that at the same time, right?
Odd that you'd have a leak if the radiator was replaced 20k miles ago. I'd just get that fixed. If you do decide to replace the rear crossover, you might as well do everything else too (front crossover, water pump, thermostat, etc.)

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I ran a hydrocarbon block test on the expansion tank, tried several times, fluid remained blue every time, so no exhaust gasses detected. However while I was in there wearing a headlamp, it was much easier to see things being out of direct sunlight, and I think I see dried up coolant residue on the rear crossover pipe. At least it looks like the rear crossover pipe to me. Thoughts?
Getting back to the OP’s original post - can‘t tell if that’s coolant or if its the rear crossover from the picture. On the SCV6, you can’t see it the crossover from that angle, but maybe on the V8 you can. If I had to guess, that looks like the diverter or t-stat that sticks up off the crossover. Usually the crossover will not leak in that spot, but its possible.

In any case, if you are leaking a pint every two weeks, you should be able to find residue someplace (and you should smell it from the engine compartment after a longish drive). If it’s the rear crossover, you should find it by dropping the skidplate - look on the top of the skid or maybe the top of the transmission. The other place to check carefully is down in the valley of the engine from the front. You should be able to peek down the side of the oil filter and see if there is any residue. Also, look around the waterpump - behind and below. A borescope is really helpful for this job.

If you can’t find a leak, change out your reservoir cap - you might be boiling some off due to a bad cap, but doubtful you’d be boiling that much off.

Another possibility is the heater core (you’d probably smell it in the cabin), or the heater lines that go back to the rear heater. They start sort of under the battery box, and continue along the bottom of the passenger side of the car up into the rear wheel well.

gillygong

Reaction score
I would think so, unless it was poorly installed. If there's no leak from that area I wouldn't worry about it.

Odd that you'd have a leak if the radiator was replaced 20k miles ago. I'd just get that fixed. If you do decide to replace the rear crossover, you might as well do everything else too (front crossover, water pump, thermostat, etc.)
No leak from rear crossover area. I see a bit of coolant on bottom driver side corner of the radiator, and around where the large hose just above that connects to radiator.

With 50k miles on front crossover, thermostat, etc, and a bunch of original hoses at 140k, I was thinking I should preventatively overhaul the system, and wondering if rear crossover should be a part of that with only 20k on it.

I agree it’s odd radiator would be leaking. Wondering if it could just be that hose connection above that clearly seems to be weeping coolant.

Thanks all for any advice!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you have access to a cooling system pressure tester? If so, pump the system up to about 15psi and you'll probably find the leaks REALLY fast. Some FLAPS/McParts stores may have a free "rental" for the tool (you buy it and return for full refund when done using it), worth checking into if you don't want to buy one.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jumping in here to ask some advice about my LR4 w/ 142k miles.

I have dealer service records from the previous owner, where I can see that the front crossover pipe, thermostat, water pump, and some but not all hoses were replaced at 90k, and rear coolant manifold and radiator were replaced at 120k.

I know the rear crossover is way more of a pain, so is 20k on the rear too soon to worry?

There's currently a very slight leak form the radiator- assuming it would make sense to replace that at the same time, right?
Only 20K on the "new" radiator? First off, that would make me VERY suspect of the quality of parts the shop used. If the radiator has failed so quickly, I imagine the crossover tube isn't far behind. (the cheap aftermarket crap fails a lot sooner than the OE stuff does...typically..but sometimes the price difference is hard to pass up!) If you have the V8 it's a lot easier than if you have the SCV6. (Easier being a relative term).

If you're having issues, and at 142K, I'd bite the bullet and go in and do everything. And in truth, it's almost time for chains, so if you go in to do the chains, you basically take everything off except the rear crossover tube. That way for $2K-$3K in parts you've refreshed the majority of the engine.

gillygong

Reaction score
Only 20K on the "new" radiator? First off, that would make me VERY suspect of the quality of parts the shop used. If the radiator has failed so quickly, I imagine the crossover tube isn't far behind. (the cheap aftermarket crap fails a lot sooner than the OE stuff does...typically..but sometimes the price difference is hard to pass up!) If you have the V8 it's a lot easier than if you have the SCV6. (Easier being a relative term).

If you're having issues, and at 142K, I'd bite the bullet and go in and do everything. And in truth, it's almost time for chains, so if you go in to do the chains, you basically take everything off except the rear crossover tube. That way for $2K-$3K in parts you've refreshed the majority of the engine.
Radiator was done at Land Rover dealer, as was all the other stuff. I agree it’s weird for it be leaking already.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP never came back. Eating a pint of coolant every week or so and no visible leaks? Sounds like a head and there is a good chance why this vehicle was dumped in the first place.

Look I scooped up a cool LR4 for almost nothing and it looks brand new!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP never came back. Eating a pint of coolant every week or so and no visible leaks? Sounds like a head and there is a good chance why this vehicle was dumped in the first place.

Look I scooped up a cool LR4 for almost nothing and it looks brand new!
Yeah, a pint of coolant a week is a bit excessive…

And yes, plenty of “great” deals out there!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72