Is this the old style or new hitch receiver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a local guy selling this receiver and I remember you guys saying that the old style has clearance issues with a full size + spare. Sorry, on my phone at the moment and can't search too well. Would I be good with this one with a full size spare? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0478.jpg
    IMAG0478.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 15

cannonball55

Reaction score
old style, the new style has practically no "neck" from the lock to the tube.

this is a new style for reference
$(KGrHqJHJFEFDMk-q,qGBQzLVjjk)w~~60_35.jpg

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, and is that true that the old style won't fit with the full size spare?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it, but doesnt look like the old style would be in the way for a spare.

cannonball55

Reaction score
I have heard there being issues with fitting plus size spares.. But I believe if you air down the spare it should fit still.

Sent from Tapatalk using my iPhone.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitch data - the long and short of it.

Below is a link to some material I have regarding hitches for the 3.

As with all things Land Rover, there is more involved in purchasing the long type that one might think as they have been subject to an upgrade related to the locking mechanism. Per the link, the orange key long one is the newer unit.

http://bit.ly/TxTkKU

I think the shorter newer D4 style has less probability of interfering with a full size spare tyre. A consideration is always how much of the tongue protrudes out the rear of the receiver and hence into the tyre.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the "old style" hitch receiver and it works fine with a 255/55-19 full size spare.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the clarifications. This one should be fine then for the minimal use I may have fore it. I'll probably at least go see it and if it functions alright I may get it. $150 sounds like a good price after a quick search online and I'll see if I can get it any lower.

Thanks again!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two piece harness set install.

I presume that you do not have the two piece electrical harness set for plugging in the wiring?

If not, while others disagree, that is one item I would be purchasing the factory set up. The primary reason I say that is that the 3 suffers from so many tail light electrical related false problems that I do not think it is a good idea to introduce additional variables in to the rear end electrical circuits.

Also if the trailer you are attaching has LED lights, you can anticipate other minor problems as well that are addressed by building a LED adapter circuit box that inserts between your 3 and the trailer. Electrical drawings and jpg's are in the trailer album link in my post above.

$150 is probably about as good as you will find. I did a search of the UK sites and did not see any USA style hitches at all. They are sometimes included in the D4 and can show up on eBay UK.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again bbyer, I did see those in your files when I checked out the hitch. I will take a better look in there, but I didn't notice a plug/harness before, so that is something I will need to acquire. As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635