Issue with fan clutch? "Restricted performance" please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely corrosion, rust-like residues which could very well have developed since 2 weeks ago. Electronic contacts cleaner would help both drying and cleaning any corroded pins in those connectors. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Sheetstr88

Reaction score
I came across that one my self but I'm not sure, I wasn't given a part number.

I just read my statement and it has a bit more info. Its called a "viscous fan clutch" I imagine that would be the right part. If I do Infact need to replace it I'll look more into it.

On my invoice they state:
"scan check code p0480 Fan 1 control circuit, all inputs ok, when grounding control no response. Needs new viscous clutch"

I should have added that information before but I didn't have the invoice on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our limited capacity to provide advice on something we can't see or test on our own, I would be vigilant in making sure as you continue to use the truck that you do not damage the engine by keeping a very close eye on your temp gauge and/or any strange noises.

With that said, it sounds like your fan is working properly (has free play when engine is off, spins when engine is hot and up to temperature, RPM's don't rise and fall exactly with engine RPM but spins independently in terms of timing). So perhaps as Umberto said, it has something to do with the electronics.

Regardless be extra cautious.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the fan works and whatever wire that monitors the fan spinning is not working. So it throws a fault. Maybe just maybe. That is the only cooling fan. So I'm pretty sure that is what you need if you decide to replace.

Sheetstr88

Reaction score
I've been keeping a close eye on the temperature and everything seems to fine. I get you cant really diagnose over the Internet but the tips have been really helpful so far. I'll try to check all the connections this weekend and update if I find anything.

Grateful for all the help. Thanks guys

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do end up replacing something and it fixes the issue, would you be willing to ship the old part to someone/myself so we can tinker with it and possibly find a DIY/cheap solution/repair?

I should be paying more attention to the LR3 boards/issues also, but as our LRs age a bit I want to start really paying attention and documenting stuff like this so our little community can be as helpful as possible on fixes. I plan on keeping my LR4 for a very long time.

Sheetstr88

Reaction score
I would consider that. I'm sure what postage is from Canada to the US for part like that though. When I'm looking at parts from the states shipping rates are very high so it would depend on who wants to spend that.

Id like to keep mine for a long time too. It's an amazing truck. Off road is unbelievable how well it does! It might turn out to be expensive to run with such expensive parts though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink