Issues with my 2006 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
Recently, my LR3 has been getting all the faults appear on my dash. System fault, HDC fault, Suspension fault, hazard lights are on, Service engine light is on, etc. This happens when I start the car after having it sit for 3-5 days. I noticed that my air suspension lowers during this time automatically, which is weird. That never happened before by itself. Strange thing is after a few attempts in starting my LR3 (I wait a few minutes in between each start up), everything goes back to normal. Drives fine. And then it would happen again after it sits for a few more days without driving.

After researching this matter on this and other forums, I thought it was my battery or alternator. I went to my local Interstate Battery direct dealer and everything passed and appear to be fine. Now, I'm stump. I was more than happy to replace my 3yr old battery to fix this issue.

So what now... Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the battery! This is the single most common thread on this site. The battery drains ever so slightly when it sits for several days, the voltage drops below a threshold that causes all of the faults to register. It will still start and on the next start cycle, no faults because the battery is fully charged.

The battery will appear acceptable at the battery store. If you drive the vehicle every day and it rarely sits for more than several days then don't replace it. It will work fine for maybe another year to 18 months. If you drive infrequently then your only solution is to place it now and likely again in another 24 to 30 months.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
Should I replace it with Interstate Battery again, the oem choice? Is there another recommended brand? People are recommending anything over 800cca but the oem battery is only 720cca...

TNRover

Reaction score
I got one of the higher end Advanced Auto batteries and it works like a champ. Warranty too. I think I read somewhere that these are made by Interstate too.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
Finally got a brand new Interstate Battery MTP-49/H8, the recommended size. Interestingly, the one that I had was the smaller Interstate Battery MTP-H7. This battery was given to me 2-3yrs ago as a warranty replacement at my dealership. Just wondering if the dealership gave me the wrong battery. Maybe that's why I was having issues with this weakened battery...?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H7 same for me on warranty replacement.

I noted your comment re the H7 being installed as a warranty replacement by the dealer. This was the same for me a couple of years back under a warranty replacement. It must be LR North America at your service.

I had just assumed that an H8 was not available, but the coincidence now sounds to me like policy.

If your HDC error message persists along with "Cruise Control not Available", check out the link below re replacement of the brake light switch or tail light bulbs. Actually regardless consider changing out the switch, (twenty five dollars and not too difficult), as it will be a problem one of these days. Also make certain you have genuine LR tail light bulbs - off spec bulbs can throw error codes and knock down the suspension.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

The odds are your problems will be solved by the battery as the brake light switch does not go to those extremes in false messages.

Generally the more error messages, the simpler the solution. Even a Land Rover does not completely collapse all at once - just seems that way.

Nutorover

Reaction score
Jazzy_James did you find the issue?

I bought a 2008 LR3 and the hazard lights turn themselves on as well and the only way to turn them off is by turning of the vehicle.

When I have this fault and then try to restart it won't start.

Please help from the members is greatly appreciated.

I always wanted to get a Land Rover, but I never thought it would have this many problems so difficult to troubleshoot.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to get a Land Rover, but I never thought it would have this many problems so difficult to troubleshoot.

You might want to start going thru my files per the link below to get an idea of solutions to some of the problems; also it will be an introduction to the fact you have purchased a mobile computer that just happens to be the Worlds Best 4x4 - and there is a cost to that fact.

The files represent some of the solutions to problems I have come to know about over the past dozen or so years. A few of the files have over five thousand views so that suggests others have had problems similar to what you are now learning about - and that is what it is all about - learning.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72