It BETTER NOT Look Like the Concept Vehicle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That drop top DC 100 Sport was disgusting.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
To Dream the Impossible Dream
or, my Defender wish list.

I hope it has coil springs over solid axles.
I hope it comes with three locking diffs from the factory and that I can engage them whenever I choose.
I hope there's an option to shut off the ABS-based traction control.
I hope it can be had with a diesel motor and a manual transmission.
I hope there is less than 5 miles of wiring in it, so that I can diagnose electrical problems myself.
I hope that the brake rotors are small enough that I can put 16" wheels on it, and that the wheel wells are big enough that I can fit 33" tall tires.
I hope that the suspension is such that I can fit any snow chains I want on the 33" tires without the suspension interfering.
I hope there's enough space under the hood and behind panels and such that I can hide a compressor, and an air tank, and a second battery.
I hope that the front bumper will accept a Husky 10 winch without it looking like an abortion.
I hope they put drip rails around the roof so that anyone can make an aftermarket rack for it.
I hope there's a dumb key instead of a smart key.:rolleyes:
I hope there's a key switch instead of a start/stop button.
I hope there's a full size spare.
I hope Land Rover contracts with Safety Devices or Rover Racks or one of the other usual suspects to make a real cargo rack rather than a "luggage rack."
I hope the wading depth is decent.
I hope there's one sunroof, and no other glass on the roof.
I hope the sunroof will be steel and not glass, and that it will disappear into the roof instead of sliding back over it.
I hope there are easily accessible recovery points, or at least provisions for them.
I hope there are no stupid plastic panels that I need to remove before wheeling or else risk losing them.
I hope there is a class 3 hitch receiver, and that it costs less than the $450 I paid for a "Genuine" LR4 QR hitch receiver.
I hope there are no LEDS in the headlights.
I hope there are provisions for auxiliary light switches that don't look like an afterthought.
I hope there is a provision for mounting off-road lighting without cutting the bumper or other body work.
I hope the truck is simple and reliable enough that I don't feel nervous driving outside my cellphone coverage area.

I don't need leather, or carpet, or wood. I don't need more than 4 speakers. I don't need complexity. I need reliability. I need a sticker price low enough that I don't feel like an irresponsible ***** for taking it off road.

I know, dream on …

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Dream the Impossible Dream
or, my Defender wish list.

I hope it has coil springs over solid axles.
I hope it comes with three locking diffs from the factory and that I can engage them whenever I choose.
I hope there's an option to shut off the ABS-based traction control.
I hope it can be had with a diesel motor and a manual transmission.
I hope there is less than 5 miles of wiring in it, so that I can diagnose electrical problems myself.
I hope that the brake rotors are small enough that I can put 16" wheels on it, and that the wheel wells are big enough that I can fit 33" tall tires.
I hope that the suspension is such that I can fit any snow chains I want on the 33" tires without the suspension interfering.
I hope there's enough space under the hood and behind panels and such that I can hide a compressor, and an air tank, and a second battery.
I hope that the front bumper will accept a Husky 10 winch without it looking like an abortion.
I hope they put drip rails around the roof so that anyone can make an aftermarket rack for it.
I hope there's a dumb key instead of a smart key.:rolleyes:
I hope there's a key switch instead of a start/stop button.
I hope there's a full size spare.
I hope Land Rover contracts with Safety Devices or Rover Racks or one of the other usual suspects to make a real cargo rack rather than a "luggage rack."
I hope the wading depth is decent.
I hope there's one sunroof, and no other glass on the roof.
I hope the sunroof will be steel and not glass, and that it will disappear into the roof instead of sliding back over it.
I hope there are easily accessible recovery points, or at least provisions for them.
I hope there are no stupid plastic panels that I need to remove before wheeling or else risk losing them.
I hope there is a class 3 hitch receiver, and that it costs less than the $450 I paid for a "Genuine" LR4 QR hitch receiver.
I hope there are no LEDS in the headlights.
I hope there are provisions for auxiliary light switches that don't look like an afterthought.
I hope there is a provision for mounting off-road lighting without cutting the bumper or other body work.
I hope the truck is simple and reliable enough that I don't feel nervous driving outside my cellphone coverage area.

I don't need leather, or carpet, or wood. I don't need more than 4 speakers. I don't need complexity. I need reliability. I need a sticker price low enough that I don't feel like an irresponsible ***** for taking it off road.

I know, dream on …
You are awesome! :) All of that would be nice, or heck, even a 1/3 of those "I hopes" make it to the real life Defender in the US. My guess is they will bring over the current Defender and add a bit of US luxury.

I eagerly await more news!!! :)

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, you guys could buy one of these...

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_rover5_3.html

They are redone by East Coast Rovers. Usually, they have more 110's

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
… My guess is they will bring over the current Defender and add a bit of US luxury.
That would be great, and if it were the case I'd snap one up in a second, but I'm not holding my breath. Part of the reason for the redesign of the Defender is that even in its 2012 form it does not meet current TÜV or DOT requirements.

You know, you guys could buy one of these...

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_rover5_3.html

They are redone by East Coast Rovers. Usually, they have more 110's
I have a '97 Defender which I love, but there are issues involved in owning a 15-year-old vehicle. While the mechanical parts are still available, many interior parts are irreplaceable, especially plastic ones. Likewise, many of the plastic bits and pieces under the hood, subjected to engine heat and petroleum-based fluids for a decade and a half, become brittle and are just lying in wait to strand the eager explorer. ECR does a great job redoing Defenders, but I can't imagine that they replace all those little plastic parts.

Don't get me wrong - if I could have only one 4WD vehicle it would still be a Defender, and I hope David is right, but my hopes aren't high that the new one that is eventually offered will be more like the old Defender and less like the Evoque.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Spalding, in a few years we'll be swapping electric motors, etc into our aging d-90's rather than the tdi's and other transplants.... And discussing how to waterproof it all, etc.

Just keep it from cooking itself long enough :tongue:

As far as the plastic bits, learning how to fiberglass and leverage epoxy will take you a long way. I can't count how much I have used so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo