Jarring noise on washboard roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2015 with 55k miles is really unpleasant to drive on washboard dirt or gravel roads. I’m well aware of the LCA bushing issue and the fact that we are well past the 40k where it begins to show. It bothers me that I cannot pry the LCA back and forth enough to see much wear or use the full-lock steering wheel wiggle technique to reproduce the knocking sound. Any suggestions how to confirm this wear? Is there anything in the engine compartment that could be loose and knocking heavily?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '13 has quite a knock, seems to be from the right front over washboard roads and often hitting a *** hole or driving into an inclined parking lot. I would have guessed it is from the bushings wearing out but I've had a mechanic look at it and say everything is solid. Interestingly I have the exact same clunk from the rear right but only when it's below 20-25 degrees F.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAs will make a lot of noise if you're going about 5 mph and just slam on the brakes. They will clunk.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 amigos of suspension noise for me have been LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, or ball joints.

Replacing the lower control arms handles the first and third amigos. Sway bar bushings are an easy DIY job until you get to the driver's-side frame mount.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 amigos of suspension noise for me have been LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, or ball joints.

Replacing the lower control arms handles the first and third amigos. Sway bar bushings are an easy DIY job until you get to the driver's-side frame mount.
Reviving this forum, my front right Sway Bar mount bushing just blew so I figure it’ll be better to do them both. Why is the drivers side a pain and would it be worth it to have a shop do it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM