19inch Tire Question on Used LR4 Purchase / LR3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto Crosstek's vs. Nokian WR G3 tires. That's really the question...

Getting a used 2013 LR4. "Giving" Carmax my LR3 with 223K on it for next to nothing, but I can take off whatever I want.

Both have 255/55R19s on them.

So, by bad planning on my part, I put a set of Nokian WR G3s on my LR3 about 7 months ago. Not much wear. About 7000 miles on them.

The new LR4 has what looks like a relatively new set of Nitto Crosstek's on them.

They are both currently going for $205 on the web, so price-wise they are comparable.

Questions -

1) Is one tire particularly better than the other that I should bother? I guess I'm thinking sand/snow performance as they both seem fine on the road. If so, I'd swap them.

2) Should I save my Nokian's (Might be able to get a used set of tires for the LR3 from my mechanic) until the Nitto's wear out? The Nitto is a 50,000 mile tire. So maybe the Nokian would be sitting for a few years. The cost to me would be buying a set of old tires and then having them mounted/balanced. So may not be worth it.

3) UNRELATED, any issue with taking the full size spare from my LR3 and swapping it with the donut on the LR4? Maybe I just keep both... I don't think Carmax would notice or care (they pretty much told me my LR3 would likely be sold for parts. Sad, I know...)

4) I actually like the WHEELS on my LR3 HSE better than the wheels on my LR4 LUX. ? But I'm thinking I should keep the newer wheels in lieu of the ones with 223K on them.

Thank you, in advance, to anyone who entertains my train of thought.
In the end, it's kind of sad how little the LR3 is worth at this point, so I might as well take from it what I can get.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be so much easier to just keep the Nitto tires. I have owned the Nokians so I know they are great, but Nitto makes good tires as well. Keep in mind that the LR4 and LR3 have different TPMS sensors so you would need to swap those as well.

Take your full size spare. It will work just fine, just don't let the dealer activate the spare tire TPMS sensor.

I still have a set of those 5-spoke LR3 wheels that I use for my winter tires. I agree, I really like that style as well.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate the guidance to keep it simple and just stick with the Nittos. I was looking forward to some sand fun on the Nokians. Oh well. Next set, maybe.

I have the '05 which didn't have the TPMS sensors, which I'm happy with. :)

Soooooo... you raise a good point. If I pull off the donut spare that is currently on the LR4 and replace it with my n on-TMPS LR3 full size spare, is it going to complain every time I get in the car that it is missing the 5th wheel sensor?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are fine...donut spares don't have TPMS sensors in them. So you don't need one in a full size spare.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635