Just a bit disappointed here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

knockknock

I test drove and bought my new LR3 in December. As soon as I sat in it and drove it down the road, I loved it. Definitely a case of love at first sight.

OK having take delivery on January 4th, it broke down on January 8th with 400 km on the clock. The way it broke down was even more alarming. A fault in the electronic unit caused the engine to cut and loose power completely including the power steering. Luckily I was driving in an urban area and driving slowly at the time and was able to coast gently into the kerb. I would hate that to happen to me if I was doing 70+ mph in the fast lane. The system came up with several messages including Park Brake fault, HDC systems not available.

The dealer has had it since Monday 10th until today. The week long stay at the dealer was my fault as I was out of town on business. He tells me he replaced the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and thoroughly checked it out.

The dealer dropped it off to me this morning and I took it for a test run and hey .... the "park brake" fault light came on after 70 km.

As I write this it is back with the dealer.

This the worst start to a new car I have had EVER.

I have heard that the Park Brake has been a recurring problem... but has anyone heard of the vehicle loosing power due to an electronic fault.

C

campbell

Have not driven the LR3 yet, but I am anxious to do so.
Isn't the parking brake activated by a button?

M

mwillems

I have the Parking Brake workshop manual if it's any help.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a rough start. Hopefully the new ECU will fix everything. Keep us posted.

K

knockknock

Answer to Campbell -- The LR3 is fantastic to drive. Yes the Park Brake is operated by a switch.

Answer to MWillems -- Thanks for the offer of the manual but I will be leave it to the dealer.

Answer to Slam -- Yup will keep you posted

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mpn1

Mine cut out as well, low speed, no display of faults, started again on 1st try and hasn't happended again in 300 miles. phew!!!

S

simonharper

Must be all that inexpensive US gas for your big V8's ;-)

My diesel has not done this (yet) and I've not seen any UK posts mention cutting out or stalling.

M

mattnyu99

Hi, I am new to the board and am considering the LR3.

I currently own a 2004 Dicovery and this replaced an identical 2001 Discovery.

I have a second car which is a 2004 Honda civic sedan.

I was going to replace the civic next yr with a 2nd model yr lr3. I love the new car but i am very hesitant to buy a 1st year model Landrover. We had a lot of issues with the 2001 disco. the 2004 disco is much better in ride quality and fit and finish but we already have small nagging issues. ie the wiper blades never seem to cleanly swipe away the rain or snow. the gas cap is easily bendable and sometimes wont lock.

But the point is I am glad this forum exists. :) I am going to track the progess of 1st year lr3 owners. The cars I am evaluating are the LR3, Hybrid Highlander, and hybrid lexus 400h.

tread lightly!

X

xray

LR3 Broke Down in Newport Beach

Yeah my wife was driving to work in her SE yesterday 2/17/05 - all of a sudden it shut off (Scared the hell out of her- everything just STOPPED) she coasted to the side of the road - it started right up and now she has a fine new Dakota to drive while the dealer tries to find the problem and remedy it.

I read, the problem seems to be happenning on HILLS. makes sense to me - I just hope they FIX it - whatever it is.

The day after we bought the car, Infinity called and wanted to take our offer on an FX45 - Now I am beginning to wonder who the loser was on that deal.

knockknock said:
I test drove and bought my new LR3 in December. As soon as I sat in it and drove it down the road, I loved it. Definitely a case of love at first sight.

OK having take delivery on January 4th, it broke down on January 8th with 400 km on the clock. The way it broke down was even more alarming. A fault in the electronic unit caused the engine to cut and loose power completely including the power steering. Luckily I was driving in an urban area and driving slowly at the time and was able to coast gently into the kerb. I would hate that to happen to me if I was doing 70+ mph in the fast lane. The system came up with several messages including Park Brake fault, HDC systems not available.

The dealer has had it since Monday 10th until today. The week long stay at the dealer was my fault as I was out of town on business. He tells me he replaced the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and thoroughly checked it out.

The dealer dropped it off to me this morning and I took it for a test run and hey .... the "park brake" fault light came on after 70 km.

As I write this it is back with the dealer.

This the worst start to a new car I have had EVER.

I have heard that the Park Brake has been a recurring problem... but has anyone heard of the vehicle loosing power due to an electronic fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

coffeemker

I brought in my 2004 Discovery II with the pleasure of receiving a loaner 2005 LR3.
The car gave me the same problem a number of times, power steering down, brake lights and all the other lights on. I would have to let it sit for a bit (the longest 3 hours luckiliy I was at a friends) The dealer sounded like it had happened before to others. Beautiful car but horrible problem!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635