Just bought an obd2 reader...have questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I just bought the software and necessary equipment from Mr. Peper at www.obd-2.com. I've seen good reviews from people on various sites about this guy's product. If anybody knows or owns this product, do you know if it allows you to reset the codes as well as inspect?

I know it has some great functions such as examining each individual o2 sensor to check for function, which I'm looking forward to. It's just that I have had the infamous check engine light on for some time now and would like to say goodbye to it.

Disco runs great, minus the funny starting at times, and subpar gas mileage. Although 15mpg isn't that bad, I was getting 20mpg for a long time on the freeway. And yes, o2 sensors are suspect. But they looked new and shiny when I was under the vehicle. About 1/3 of the time it kind of hiccups or even skips a beat when starting...causing a pretty bad sound at times. Could that be attributable to a crappy cheap battery that is in the car presently? Not that crappy...but still. I know even small things can make a rover act funny. Hmm, maybe I should've make a separate thread for that question. Oh well. :p

Maybe I should also take this rare posting moment for me to state that I enjoy this site a lot, and have learned a bunch from when I was lurking till now. Thanks everyone.

Jeff

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not that fimilar with that OBD2 scanner software, but I have read about it. Yes it will clear the check engine light and the codes associated with it. But before you do the clearing of codes, you may want to find out what the codes are and what is causeing them... you may have some minor underlying issues that may need resolved before you just clear things. Or they will just come back again.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff! I'm not familiar w/that software at all, but I do use obd2.com from time to time. I have a Kal Equip scanner from napa.(about $240.00, I think) to read & clear codes. Keep a notebook of date & info for later comparision. The Kal unit also allows running diagnostics & freeze frame data which I find helpful. It will even check A/C system on later vehicles, but not mine. Most of my CEL problems occur @ STARTUP! I have only had 1 problem occur after warm up 1 time, now repaired. I find the freeze frame data very helpful re: operation. Good Luck! LRW.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Jeff,

Let us know how this works out, I've read nothing but good things about this program and I would love to get it but I'm on a Mac platform. If you find it helpfull maybe I'll go diving in the dumspters for an old laptop.

Justin

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be recording the codes before I clear them, and investigating any causes. I'll fix it, don't worry. I just didn't want to take it into the shop any more if I didn't have to, hence the reason I have a check engine light on. hehe

Updates on product will be posted once I get the software downloaded and rover plugged in.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm looking for a good power inverter so I can run my laptop in my car. Any suggestions on good ones? I've seen the usual ones online at bestbuy.com, sears.com, and crutchfield.com. None of them really stand out. I'll probably pick one from Best Buy.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, a Rover bro just bought an inverter @ Best Buy, or Circuit city, I can't remember but I do know that it works well w/his Sony VIAO? Also, the real people in the know on this topic are James? Merriam (from the adventure team challange) & Lee Garret (Both on the Flatland Rover Society board) those two have been doing this "Invertin' the power" thing for a long time. They Know their stuff. Jim's got outlets in the dash of his Rangie. Thank You, LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM