Just Got an '11 LR4, Who Can Answer The Most Questions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All things considered, it would take a very bad experience to make me go back to lexus. I think LR is a far more superior vehicle than anything lexus has to offer and for less money. I am talking about the LR4 ofcourse as compared to the GX and LX models. The electronics in Lexus and Japanese vehicles in general are more refined than that of LR and EU vehicles, but the Japanese advantage stops there IMO. The service I got at the Lexus dealership was superb!!! I would trade that however to the ride of the LR.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've lived in San Francisco too long and have become completely soft and mellow. When I go to a dealership and find them rude, I simply play along and move onto another dealership. My life is just too busy and complex to waste my time getting flustered over a car, an object of stuff. Just the way I am...

When it comes to bad dealerships for me, most have been with BMW. There was one time, on a Saturday, that my 2008 M3 oil light came on. And for an M3, which has a 25K motor, you don't take chances with oil! Anyway, I drove down to SF BMW for a top off. And you know what they told me? Sorry, can't help ya. I'm like, "The oil I need (which is highly special btw, and not sold at any retailers outside of BMW, was sitting right there on the shelf near the parts department) is right there, I'll even pay for it." The MANAGER was like, "Sorry, can't help you. Go park your car and come back on Monday."

Mind you, I didn't buy my M3 at SF BMW, but I had purchased two other BMWs from them! Anyway, I said fine, didn't make a hissy fit, drove to Berkeley Weatherford BMW and asked if they could help me, and the manager quickly grabbed a quart and topped off. No charge. Made my day.

My point is that every dealership is different. Some deal with nasty customers all day and cannot bear another complaint, which makes them rude, some are just rude, and some are just awesome when the right attitude is at play.

I always keep a smile on my face, good or bad experience with these guys, and it has gotten me what I want without much fuss including building really solid relationships with the SAs and dealerships I use.

A good attitude in life goes a long way...

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear light fogging should 100% be replaced if it is defective! I would try another dealer or raise the issue with LRNA. The dealership shouldn't have said something like that "goldfish" thing, they are obviously not good folks. Have you tried another dealership? Or the dealership you purchased the LR4 from?

CraigyJr

Reaction score
I did not buy from this dealer, the vehicle i wanted they didnt have. Mine was shipped in. There is another dealer about an hour away i could try. But this is ridiculous. They didnt know this vehicle wasnt bought from them when i rolled up and started showing them my issuses. Not until they entered the vin.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not buy from this dealer, the vehicle i wanted they didnt have. Mine was shipped in. There is another dealer about an hour away i could try. But this is ridiculous. They didnt know this vehicle wasnt bought from them when i rolled up and started showing them my issuses. Not until they entered the vin.

An hour away, that kind of stinks. I guess owners in the Bay Area should feel blessed since we have 5 dealarships to chose from.

Considering the dealership you're using seems to have some issues with being polite, maybe you should kindly address your issue about the taillight with LRNA. They're very nice and helped me with my DRL question. And cheer up, it's just a bad experience from a dealership that doesn't seem to appreciate its customers.

One thing LR should do to help whip bad dealarships into shape is implement a scoring card system each time you have service done. BMW does this and it's a pretty successful program. And it keeps the unhappiness within the circle rather than the customer calling JD that ends up being public via satisfaction data.

CraigyJr

Reaction score
An hour away, that kind of stinks. I guess owners in the Bay Area should feel blessed since we have 5 dealarships to chose from.

Considering the dealership you're using seems to have some issues with being polite, maybe you should kindly address your issue about the taillight with LRNA. They're very nice and helped me with my DRL question. And cheer up, it's just a bad experience from a dealership that doesn't seem to appreciate its customers.

One thing LR should do to help whip bad dealarships into shape is implement a scoring card system each time you have service done. BMW does this and it's a pretty successful program. And it keeps the unhappiness within the circle rather than the customer calling JD that ends up being public via satisfaction data.

What did you get done with your drl

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've lived in San Francisco too long and have become completely soft and mellow. When I go to a dealership and find them rude, I simply play along and move onto another dealership. My life is just too busy and complex to waste my time getting flustered over a car, an object of stuff. Just the way I am...

When it comes to bad dealerships for me, most have been with BMW. There was one time, on a Saturday, that my 2008 M3 oil light came on. And for an M3, which has a 25K motor, you don't take chances with oil! Anyway, I drove down to SF BMW for a top off. And you know what they told me? Sorry, can't help ya. I'm like, "The oil I need (which is highly special btw, and not sold at any retailers outside of BMW, was sitting right there on the shelf near the parts department) is right there, I'll even pay for it." The MANAGER was like, "Sorry, can't help you. Go park your car and come back on Monday."

Mind you, I didn't buy my M3 at SF BMW, but I had purchased two other BMWs from them! Anyway, I said fine, didn't make a hissy fit, drove to Berkeley Weatherford BMW and asked if they could help me, and the manager quickly grabbed a quart and topped off. No charge. Made my day.

My point is that every dealership is different. Some deal with nasty customers all day and cannot bear another complaint, which makes them rude, some are just rude, and some are just awesome when the right attitude is at play.

I always keep a smile on my face, good or bad experience with these guys, and it has gotten me what I want without much fuss including building really solid relationships with the SAs and dealerships I use.

A good attitude in life goes a long way...

I have to agree. The dealership I purchased my LR from was quick to point out that the dealership service nearest my house was somehow sub standard to theirs. So far they've proven the opposite.

I thought that maybe I might be given the "cold shoulder" going for service at a dealership I didn't purchase the vehicle from but they welcomed me with open arms and I feel better for just walking away.

Marty

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you get done with your drl

You know, I purchased my LR4 from LR San Jose but it's about an hour away from San Francisco (btw, best car buying experience ever!), so I just take my LR to British Motor Cars of SF. They mostly deal in Bentleys, Lambos, Lotus, etc... (supercar candy store) and I had thought that maybe I'd be treated like a dog off the street with my measly LR4, but instead, they treat me really well, and I couldn't be happier! The work I've had done were DRL activation ($75 bucks), resetting check-engine light because I didn't tighten the gas cap enough (after two triggers the system locks in the check engine light and only the dealer can re-set it), and most recently, had the right front air-strut replaced because it was leaking. That's pretty much it.

Oh, BTW, regarding your horn chirp that you had programmed, if you have a door ajar, will it not chirp at all - since it's basically an opposite set-up? I'm really thinking about having this activated, but if it chirps if a door is ajar then I'll pass. I also checked the manual again and it states that the "chirp/horn" audible warning is only available in "some" markets. I think it's a fair statement by LR. But, I do like what I'm reading that within one year LR will activate features like this that may be only for ROW for free. I'm going to explore this and see what happens! :) Will report back.

Last edited:

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way late to this post, but wanted to throw in my two cents. Have only had good interactions with my LR dealership (Scarborough Maine btw) and while it is entirely due to the fact that they are good guys who seem to care, I also make every effort to be polite, friendly and show recognition when they treat me well. I am sure these guys get practically ignored all the time by people who think that because they bought a $100k RR, they don't have to be commonly decent, so when you remember their names and ask about their kids, they will be on your side. Screw the sales guys, service are who you want to be friends with.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,
I will check what the LR does when I lock it with a door ajar. I will let you know ASAP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM