Just picked up my new '13 Corris Gray HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely have the best of both worlds. My wife never felt unsafe in the LR4... it does give you a "I'm driving a tank, stay out of my way" feeling... but for me, with my heavy-foot, I never felt comfortable driving her on the highway at speeds above 75 mph.

Hey Count,

I have to agree with you there. I feel very safe in my LR4, but I am not heavy footed at all - even on the highway. The fastest I tend to drive is around 70-75, though have been to almost 90 for a short period and felt very stable. I just get nervous about reacting to other traffic going that fast, not to mention all the crap I have on the roof. This is where the RRS shines, in my opinion, and has a much more nimble and sporty drive. Remember back when you were thinking of getting the RRS and I told you how it felt on the highway compared to the LR4 - well, now you have summed it up perfectly! I really think it was a great choice for you. Heck, I do kind of miss having a nimble vehicle.

What I don't feel comfortable doing in the RRS, is taking her off-road. Not off-road though in the sense of off-road, but in the sense of someone like David, that can take the LR4 up a mountain, literally, and through sink-holes, and over crazy rocks... That is something, I wouldn't put my RRS through, because she's just too pretty... and she'd probably get stuck. ;-) And that is why you my friend, have the best of both worlds.

I also envy alexcorral because he has the best of both worlds - the capability and load up the family/dogs/gear of the LR4 and the luxurious wrap-around cabin and sporty nimble driving capability of the RRS. I would love to have both vehicles in my driveway! :) My wife likes the LR4, but she has a Tahoe, which I hate, but her dad gave it to her and she was raised only buying American-made trucks - mostly big SUV and giant vans (lots of kids). Luckily she keeps the Tahoe in UT, so I don't have to look at it much - hahaha! :)

Oh, and I do think you could take your RRS off-road! :proud: There are a couple guys in the NCLR club with newer RRS (pretty much stock) and they are still highly capable - though, some areas they do avoid, but I tend to as well! Haha. One of these days you have to ride along with me, in my LR4 - heck you gotta see my new LR4!!!

-David

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Johnson rods I took off the Discovery 4 and I know they will work on both the LR4 and the RRS but I had only planned to fit them on the LR4 and get the beefier AT tires I never got to put on the Discovery 4 in Panama. I really like the look of the lifted LR4 and the larger tires as well as the opportunity to take it off road. This time I'll get an alignment done after fitting the rods :biggrin:

I don't have plans to lift the RRS but will switch to 255/55R19s for winter tires. I might experiment with the rods on the RRS and share the results of my experiment with all of you :stupid:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a long time Sport owner I can tell you the RRS is every bit as capable as the LR3/4 off road, which should not be surprising as the cars are nearly identical. There won't be anywhere an LR4 can go that a similarly equipped Sport can't. The Sport gives up some very marginal ground clearance and approach / departure angles to the LR4 (mostly due to its lower profile stock tires) but makes up for that with a shorter wheelbase and tighter turning radius.

The one area where the LR4 trumps the Sport is in available aftermarket off-road accessories and mods. There is basically nothing available in the aftermarket designed specifically for the Sport, except for a few goodies designed for LR3/4 that also happen to fit the RRS. The Sport has got the 22" wheels and aero body kits market cornered, though. That's what the typical RRS buyer is interested in. Too bad, because they miss out on 50% of the car's capabilities.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a long time Sport owner I can tell you the RRS is every bit as capable as the LR3/4 off road, which should not be surprising as the cars are nearly identical. There won't be anywhere an LR4 can go that a similarly equipped Sport can't. The Sport gives up some very marginal ground clearance and approach / departure angles to the LR4 (mostly due to its lower profile stock tires) but makes up for that with a shorter wheelbase and tighter turning radius.

The one area where the LR4 trumps the Sport is in available aftermarket off-road accessories and mods. There is basically nothing available in the aftermarket designed specifically for the Sport, except for a few goodies designed for LR3/4 that also happen to fit the RRS. The Sport has got the 22" wheels and aero body kits market cornered, though. That's what the typical RRS buyer is interested in. Too bad, because they miss out on 50% of the car's capabilities.
I totally agree! I have seen some RRS (completely stock) do way more than I would want to do in my somewhat modified (still working on it) LR4. I definitely think it's the RRS owners who are typically more interested in on-road modifications.

Hey Umberto, I have a naive question... I sent you a PM.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly breaking her in. I know I will get to a point of taking her out - maybe I will be able to meet up with David one weekend and break her in. I should just buy a set of off-road 19s or 18s as a start and just do it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly breaking her in. I know I will get to a point of taking her out - maybe I will be able to meet up with David one weekend and break her in. I should just buy a set of off-road 19s or 18s as a start and just do it.
The terrain at Hollister is across the board and it's totally easy to stay on trails in which you will have absolutely no trouble and still have lots of fun. The most that will happen will be that your RRS gets dirty and a little muddy. ;-)

UAVRR

Reaction score
ENTIRELY thorough! This may have helped me finalize my decision between an LR4 and an RRS!!:proud:

I loved my LR4, it's an amazing vehicle and serves so many purposes. And if you really need the space, the RRS will feel/seem smaller. I purchased a MY13 RRS. It included the Silver Package which pretty much gives you every option but the rear entertainment system. I truly love it! To say one is better than the other isn't fair though. Because again, both serve their purpose. The RRS does have a lower roof-line and the rear slopes down rather than squared off. Therefore, you have less headroom, and less upper space in the boot. BUT, the headroom is still very ample. As the LR4, has headroom that's stratospheric. The rear seats in the RRS are also tighter, but, I'm 5" 9" so my seat isn't further back like it would be for the 6-footers, leaving plenty of leg-room for my wife/and Son's baby seat. I hauled around my in-laws/Wife/Son (total of 5-people) and no one was uncomfortable and even commented a couple of times they liked it more than the LR4 I had.

The RRS also does not have the 3rd row, which I only used twice in the three-years of ownership. Another note, the rear boot area, load level, is just a few inches shorter than the LR4... so you can still load it up with plenty of stuff. You just can't load high items, as the LR4 has that really high/squared off rear space. I have not found this an issue, I still haul around bags of stone for my landscaping... plants, same crazy stuff I hauled around in my LR4. So no issues there whatsoever.

The LR4 cockpit is nice, and fits the style of the truck. It's an amazingly comfortable space as well... gives a real sense of space. The RRS is more ****-pit orientated, the seats are very sport-like... they hug you, and the dash, swoops down, and the center-console area is higher and is at arm/resting height which gives you that jet-fighter/****-pit experience. You can hold the shifter and shift without the need to reach for it... it's sweet. And although the RRS still has that commanding seat height feature, you don't feel like you're going to roll out through the front windscreen and onto the bonnet. You still get that commanding feel... but it's more direct and matches the view points of the interior/and bonnet... giving you a sense of control over the vehicle, which makes sense, since it's a more sport orientated driving experience.

I haven't spent much time in a LUX LR4, but the RRS interior is quite refined and luxurious. It is also extremely quiet at head level, since it has the acoustic glass windscreen and driver and passenger feature. It successfully drowns out unwanted frequencies that are common surrounds. What the acoustic glass doesn't do, is drown out the V8 and rumble that is completely different than the sound of the LR4. The drive train is visceral. You can feel the V8 rumble, and that V8 oscillation at idle you'd experience in say a newer muscle car. It's an amazing experience especially in sport mode. Since the overall feel is completely different than the LR4. And for the record, the LR4 shouldn't be this way, it's a more refined, luxury family vehicle, whereas the RRS IMO, is more bad-boy... heavy metal-esque. Out to cause some trouble.

Back to sport mode: The sport mode is very special and intoxicating. Although when not in sport mode the character of the RRS is, well, sporty... when it's in sport mode, it shapes up to be a more direct and encompassing experience. The throttle mapping is quicker, the sport shifting is frankly lightening quick, I'm really amazed at how fast it shifts and the shift sound that goes along with it.

Downshifting is delightful and addictive, because in sport mode, the exhaust flexes its muscles and becomes more throaty, produces a sound and welcome vibration throughout the floor, center console, and buttock area that cannot be explained other than it reminds me of my e90 M3. While you're experiencing this, you look around the cabin, the size/feel of the truck, and just smile... because it's so bad-ass!!! Everyone who has been in my RRS sport suddenly realizes this isn't anything like any other SUV they've been in.

Another realization that I had after I purchased the RRS is how "Jeep-like" it is. It is the size of pretty much any mid-sized SUV - Jeep Cherokee from the 90s size. So when you look around the cabin, you still feel you're driving something spacious, but not overwhelmed in size. When I drove my LR4 by myself, I felt very lonely and vulnerable. It was just too big for me - felt like I was in a warehouse. And my Wife and Son only get in the car on the weekends - so it just made me feel alone.

When I'm alone now, I can enjoy the RRS as being mine... not a forced product on my mind-set because I think I need more space. If I had a bigger family I likely wouldn't have purchased the RRS. My selfish need to meet my mindset would have been deferred until a later time. But again, I didn't need the LR4 space and really wanted something I can enjoy. So any comparison here is really about what the family needs and what the family can accept.

I hope this helps paint a better picture of both vehicles. Each one has their purpose and I wish I could have both. At one point, I did try and convince my wife to take the LR4... but she loves smaller cars hence her love affair for her little Merc. I couldn't even convince her to get the E-class... anything larger than a 3-series or C-class is considered "too big." Annoying IMO. And although she loves driving the RRS, because of its sporty handling characteristics, she still says it's really big.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woot! Just put my order in for a '13 LR4 HSE in Corris Gray (cuz the Orknay was discontinued back in Feb supposedly) with heavy duty, CCP, upgraded sound, and black/black interior. Build in September and delivery by mid-October.

By the way, my dealer told me that October is the last build month for '13 and expects the market to be flooded with S/C V6 LR4's after that since the production plant is going full steam with S/C V6 RR and RRS. He wouldn't confirm or deny if put on the record ... of course.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woot! Just put my order in for a '13 LR4 HSE in Corris Gray (cuz the Orknay was discontinued back in Feb supposedly) with heavy duty, CCP, upgraded sound, and black/black interior. Build in September and delivery by mid-October.

By the way, my dealer told me that October is the last build month for '13 and expects the market to be flooded with S/C V6 LR4's after that since the production plant is going full steam with S/C V6 RR and RRS. He wouldn't confirm or deny if put on the record ... of course.

Wait, what? I was told weeks ago no more 2013's!!! How can this be? Who did you order from?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635