K&N Air Filter / Borla Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jmjunker

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2004 Discovery SE and added a K&N air filter from crutchfield.com. My experience with the K&N differs from many I've seen on these forums. It definitely pulls way harder on the freeway, under full-throttle, and is especially noticable during kick-downs. Some of this may be due to the car loosening up after 1K mi, but I would highly recommend the drop in filter for about $50.

When pulling out the stock one, I couldn't even see any light from a lamp through it. Imagine what that is doing to your air flow. Also, the stock air box does get pretty hot still and I may experiment with making a heat shield when I have a chance.

As a second upgrade, I was strongly considering a Borla cat-back exhaust. Also, as some have noted that an exhaust would complement an intake very nicely. Unfortunately, it seems that many feel it is too loud. I wouldn't mind a little throatier exhaust, but I don't want to deal with a loud exhaust.

I'm really glad to find this site. Hope your all having fun motoring in your Discoveries!

Josh

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can see through the K$N, imagine whats getting through to the engine. I personally think its a waste of money and convinced there is no "seat of the pants" gain in power. Im old fashioned I guess and like the piece of mind when putting on a new filter every 6k.

The K$N oil filters are top notch however.

I do like the cat-back idea.

Enjoy your new Disco!

J

jmjunker

K&N in LONGITUDE expedition

The K&N is oiled..which I prefer to a piece of corregated construction paper. They have quite a bit of data on particulate size versus filtration efficiency.

I think this article on their use in the LONGITUDE expedition is noteworthy as well:

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/news/news.aspx?ID=80

-----------------------------------------------------------

RIVERSIDE, CA, -- It's little secret that K&N High Flow Air Filters were born from a need to protect engines from extreme conditions while allowing ample air for optimum performance. When it comes to pushing a vehicle to extremes more people have used K&N's washable and re-usable air filters than any other brand. When Nick Baggarly, LONGITUDE Expedition Leader for Drive Around the World found his team of four Land Rovers in need of a filter capable of withstanding the rigors of his quest it's no surprise that he called on K&N.

LONGITUDE Expedition began on November 1, 2003 with nine volunteers from the Drive Around the World organization. The Expedition would be a nine-month, 50,000 kilometer drive around the world - crossing four continents, through 34 countries - to raise funds that will help cure Parkinson's Disease. The trek would take the team along some of the most desolate and demanding places on the planet - all for a good cause.

Baggarly explained, "Drive Around the World's LONGITUDE Expedition is conducting a motor oil endurance test for Mobil 1, 0W-40 with SuperSyn(tm). Our agreement with Mobil 1 is to run the entire 32,000-mile global expedition with no oil or oil filter changes in all four LONGITUDE Expedition Certified Discoverys.

Prior to departure, Mobil 1 engineers set us up with sample kits, and instructed us to mail oil samples back to Mobil 1 labs periodically. They also mentioned that the only thing likely to affect oil performance is high-silicate content from dust and contaminates. That prompted us to talk with ARB's Matt Frost (one of our sponsors) and a decision was made to fit an ARB raised air intake to our vehicles. But all of the dust encountered during the first three months of the expedition--especially in the aired planes of Patagonia--made it apparent that serious air filtration was needed. In Santiago, Chile we mailed oil samples to Mobil 1 labs and by the time we reached the end of the road in South America, the oil had changed to a darker color. We knew that something more than the snorkel was needed if the oil was going to make it.

The decision to go with K&N came when we reached Australia and the locals told us about the bulldust along the Gun Barrel Highway, a 500-mile barren track--steeped with Aussie history--that stretches from east to west across Central Australia. The ground is made up of a bright-red dirt that the locals refer to as 'bulldust.' In no time at all, this fine, talc-like powder makes its way inside the vehicles and it gets absolutely everywhere."

Fortunately the team installed the K&N Filters before running the Gun Barrel. "I heard about K&N so I sent a note asking for filters for our Land Rover Discoverys," said Baggarly. K&N arranged for four 33-2119 High Flow Air Filters to be sent by their distributor in New South Wales, Australia, Rocket Industries PTY, LTD. "They have been in our vehicles ever since--including the first all-land drive from Singapore to far Northeast Siberia. The World's Best Air Filter - K&N is truly the world's best.

On any serious expedition, your vehicle is your umbilical chord back to civilization so you absolutely must treat it right! During the LONGITUDE Expedition, our Land Rover Discovery vehicles saw more dust in a single day than most vehicles see in an entire year, so of course we fitted K&N air filters. But it wasn't just dust that we had to deal with. Our K&Ns helped us through extreme elevation changes, including a drive over the highest motorable road in the world - the Khardungla Pass near Ley, India. At a breathtaking 18,640 feet (5682m.) both vehicles and humans needed all the air they could get!"

The LONGITUDE Expedition is the longest journey ever attempted with a focus on Parkinson's Disease. They journey will conclude on February 25th, 2005 at Land Rover's Irvine, California headquarters.

Established in 2002, with headquarters in Los Gatos California, Drive Around the World is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that seeks to inspire a sense of adventure and the tradition of exploration, encouraging people to actively learn about our world and creatively act to understand the humanitarian and environmental problems we face. Drive Around the World press releases and electronic photos of the LONGITUDE expedition are available on-line in the pressroom section of www.drivearoundtheworld.com, or contact them at +1 408 354-DATW (3289).

# # K&N # #

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a middle of the road take on this one.... I have had several k&N filters on various different vehicles. They do work, and very well at first, however if you have one and you want it to work as well 6K miles later, you really have to care for it, oil it and wash it, blah, blah, blah... usually cleaning it up so much still doesn't open it back up....past 6 months they virtually even out with a stock one, but for the first month or two, they are great, and can be for longer if maintained.... for me, I would rather just pop in a new one, especially in a 4x4. In a sports car, definitely K&N. Open exhaust helps, but stock cats will keep you from getting the most out of your ride, plus being an 04 rover has done a pretty good job of managing air flow...I doubt you would see a major increase....sorry to crap on your mods, but sadly your truck is already pretty damn good as is :)

A

allenmj

i like stickers.... my service manager told me that my mass airflow sensor would not be covered under warranty because of the k$n, and the mud in the intake didnt help either... no mud with paper, so far....

D

disco1

Think I'll *** into this discussion also. As I run K&N filters on both my rigs, my observation is that the K&N do need careful maintenance to be effective. The paper filters that come as original equipment are more than adequate for the job they are designed to do. Very effective. Not only do they, filter out the dust, but because they are enclosed, also keep out mud/muddy water, which the K&N would find hard to do.
As I have said in the past whenever the K&N filter fitment topic is raised, usually as a result of someone wanting to increase horse power, is, "save your money", because unless you have substantially modified your engine, the increases from better breathing is minute.

P

parthog

I just don't trust the K&N.

The K&N site doesn't give any filtration efficiency data that I can find, other than one test of "course dust" filtration efficiency, ... 10-20microns, cripes even my furnace filter is .3micron-1micron 97% efficient with data on the package. It is a filter for racing, not for long-life engines IMO and if they had better data you'd better bet they'd publish it.

My opinion is that running a K&N offroad or on a daily driver is a bad idea. From the lack of data it is apparent that fine dust filtration is going to make it by the K&N more than a good paper filter. If better performance at the cost of shorter engine life is your goal, K&N might be a good idea and better still no filter at all (least restriction). What the heck if it's a lease.

Until K&N starts to offer full-spectrum test results on filtration efficiency instead of one test of course particulates and a couple of testimonies from people who's trucks' engines actually survived downstream of the oily sponge for a couple of days, I'll stick with buying good pleated filters. Maybe I'm wrong and a good "course dust" filter is enough, I think my oil filter is only 10micron, ...

For the Borla, probably a marginal improvement in power. Be careful though, sometimes a backpressure reduction can change the fuel mixture slightly as the engine's fuel management is tuned and tested around the stock airflow. Increasing sound output is a problem here in Michigan though, there is a maximum db / sound level to allow you on the dunes at Silver Lake for example. Sure sounds better, don't know if it'll pass. Used to be able to run there with "bag of snakes" headers and megaphone on VW engines, ...

Last edited by a moderator:

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhhh....."nanodust" I am not too worried about anything below 10 microns, considering I breathe in stuff that big through my nose, wait that sounds bad, I meant dust....anyways, if K&N didn't work, I doubt pros would use them....they filter, but they also clog up, it just depends on how often you want to clean a filter, vs. tossing it for a new one. I agree that paper might filter better, but under 10 microns is going to go right out the exhaust.... my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM