K&N Air Filter / Borla Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

parthog

Okay so dust under 10u will go out the exhaust, so will larger dust, sand, hell I've even seen chunks of piston make it into the exhaust. The problem is what it'll do on the way through and abrasive is abrasive. Some of that stuff does go for a ride on the cylinder walls for a while, the reason for filtration in the first place.

Yes pros use them, if I were tearing an engine down after a race anyway and .1second can mean finishing in the money I'd run the least restriction possible too and the hell with engine life.

Maybe I try too hard to get my stuff to last, the truck will probably get crashed or rusted before the engine dies anyway. I'll do my best to put good lubes and filters in it and have a liner slip, ... but for now I'm trying to do what's best for the engine.

ColeCam said:
I agree that paper might filter better, but under 10 microns is going to go right out the exhaust.... my opinion.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used K&N in the past, and did not like them in a stock air box, but I just installed the AirForceOne Cold air system, and I could honestly say that I could feel the power difference.

Prior to installation, on hills on the interstate here in WV, I would have to drop to 3rd gear to maintain speed (cruise set at 72).

After installation, With cruise set at 72mph, the Disco maintained the speed without droping to 3rd gear.

Of course I can't say how much more I got in power, but it was enough that I noticed.

J

jmjunker

Parthog made a good point about filtration below 10um. I don't know how small really matters, but below 1 um is basically clay. I shot K&N an email to see if they had any data on filtration versus size below 10um.

For me...I feel a power difference. Maybe it's that the 4.6L draws more air through the air box made for a 4.0...i dunno.

My philophoshy is that I'll clean it about every 6k and use the white glove test to see what I see on the lid and go from there.

Take care dudes.

B

B2zD2

Guys I'm new to the Rover scene but was a big time Mod addict in BMW tuning. Drop in filters make the "butt dyno" say there is an increase but its really nothing significant. I've really never heard any speak badly of K&N before comming to this board. I'm sure with a disco as with a BMW the more you can let the engine breathe the more power it will give. The standard mods would always be ECU re-program(chip), Intake,& Exhaust. Does anyone know of a good intake for the 4.6 DiscoII? Airforce One I've seen but $350.00???? Man I thought BMW tuning was expensive.

So is there really a way to tweak some ponies without forced induction?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The Airforceone is expensive, but since no one else makes one, and I don't have the ability to make one myself (or at least not the time to try and piece one together) what other choice is out there?

B

B2zD2

joey said:
The Airforceone is expensive, but since no one else makes one, and I don't have the ability to make one myself (or at least not the time to try and piece one together) what other choice is out there?
My question exactly... Is there another option? Also since you have one on, what is the difference between the AF1 and say one available from somewhere like pepboys? Do you think a DIY intake possile from those parts?
Hey Joey where in WV are you? I am WVU alumni and my rents still live in Martinsburg.

D

disco1

B2zD2 said:
Guys I'm new to the Rover scene but was a big time Mod addict in BMW tuning. Drop in filters make the "butt dyno" say there is an increase but its really nothing significant. I've really never heard any speak badly of K&N before comming to this board. I'm sure with a disco as with a BMW the more you can let the engine breathe the more power it will give. The standard mods would always be ECU re-program(chip), Intake,& Exhaust. Does anyone know of a good intake for the 4.6 DiscoII? Airforce One I've seen but $350.00???? Man I thought BMW tuning was expensive.

So is there really a way to tweak some ponies without forced induction?
Yes, nitrous.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
B2zD2

I am in Spencer, just North of Charleston.

After buying the Airforceone, I think it would be possible to build it yourself cheaper, it would just be a matter of getting all the right sized parts, and building the mount to hold the MAF/Filter in the air.

It consists of two high temp couplers, about a one foot stanless steel tube with a hole for the air temp sensor (rubber grommet), the air filter similar to a K&N, and the mounting bracket and 5 large hose clamps, a 1 huge hose clamp.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 things:

for $350 you are probably better off reprograming or rechipping the vehicle, i think they claim an 18 hp gain with ecu upgrades which would be money better spent(well atleast compared to a $350 intake)

secondly, if you did try to piece an intake together yourself, forget using the stainless tubing or any metal tubing for that matter, the goal is colder, denser air, therefore using a rubber material for the tubing would, imo, work much better. It will resist heat better and it wont hold as much heat as a metal would. It may not look as cool, but hey, we aint ricers are we?

lastly, speaking of butt dyno's, I have heard time and time again, that usualy atleast a 10hp increase is needed to actually feel a difference, obviously this isnt very scientific, but alot of older tuners/builders use that basis.

good luck

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I trust that Joey knows what he is doing, and he has the mods on the backside of his system to warrant an intake upgrade. But as a general rule, while factory isn't always the best, they do work pretty hard, with many engineers to make their engines perform. In most cases, (not all) aftercat exhaust systems, and cold air intakes produce very minimal gains, while most companies claim big results. If you read the mags that do before and afters, the numbers just aren't there. Of course if you do major engine mods, then you might have something. I just know that if an aftercat dual exhaust and intake really gave you 30hp and better fuel economy, then you would see them on every vehicle straight off the lot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM