Knock after warmup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asteal

Reaction score
I've been seaching the various threads on knocking engines and am wondering if anyone here has experienced a knock only when the engine gets to operating temperature. My 2003 Disco runs strong. Yesterday after startup and getting to operational temp. (about 10 min) she started ticking / knocking. Do you guys think this may have something to do with the exhaust? Alternator knocking? Sticky Lifters? Blocked pickup? Would maybe a flush and or Seafoam treatment help?

Thanks in advnace for all you suggestions

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say for sure without hearing the noise or having some use a mechanic's stethoscope to detect where it is coming from. Knocking after warm up sounds to me like exhaust if I were to just guess from what you said.

Without other info like mileage, last tune up, type of oil you use, when is the issue heard i.e. parked at idle, driving, revving the engine...

Asteal

Reaction score
Tune up was within the last 2000 Miles. Oil used is Chevron Full Synthetic 10W30 with a quart of Lucus Syntheic Added.

The Disco has 58000 Miles. The sound is very noticeable during stops. (in park - neutral -gear). Seems to go away when driving or punching the vehicle hard (might be lost due to wind noise). When idling and reving the engine it also seems to go away.

If you need anything else let me know. I will try and scope the engine this weekend.

Thanks for your response!!!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Oil pick up tube is possible clogged... remove the oil pan... remove any sludge, clean pick up tube... reinstall oil pan.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Never reuse a gasket...

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a test: pull up beside a wall so that you can have a good listen (with your window down of course) - make certain the engine and trani are warmed up nicely; if the noise goes away when you shift (without reving) from Park into reverse or Neutral into Drive - then it could be your flex plate (as this sound will dissappear when the trani is under load)?

dzd300

Reaction score
Good luck with that. I have a 2003 LR with 57,000 that has been in the shop last 5 months. This LR mechanic practically rebuilt engine, $3000 dollars later, same problem. If you figure this out, let me know. Truck has had about 4 or 5 new oil pumps put on. Still tapping, oil light still flashing at idle. Any ideas?

dzd300

Reaction score
I've been seaching the various threads on knocking engines and am wondering if anyone here has experienced a knock only when the engine gets to operating temperature. My 2003 Disco runs strong. Yesterday after startup and getting to operational temp. (about 10 min) she started ticking / knocking. Do you guys think this may have something to do with the exhaust? Alternator knocking? Sticky Lifters? Blocked pickup? Would maybe a flush and or Seafoam treatment help?

Thanks in advnace for all you suggestions

Did you ever figure this out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4