Kuat NV Bike Rack (hitch mount) on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How heavy is this bike rack? I'm a petite 5' and 110 lbs. Do you think I would be able to put the rack on/off by myself? Also, are you able to open the top half of the trunk hatch with the rack folded up?

I stopped by REI today and picked up the Thule APEX swing 4 bike rack, but that one is pretty heavy too. So just trying to decide if I should keep that one or go with something like this. I was leaning towards the swing rack so that I can access the trunk with the bikes on.

I really like the Kuat NV, but at 49 lbs it isn't "light". My wife can install/remove it pretty easily, but complains about the weight for carrying it around (ie to/from the garage). It helps to install/remove with the rack in the folded position. Kuat NV Core is 41 lbs, but is missing the cool color scheme and some features (no mechanic stand or cable lock). However, 8 lbs lighter might make the difference for you. For reference, Thule APEX 4 is spec'd at 40 lbs.

Having used both wheel tray style (Kuat NV) and arm style (like the Thule APEX), I would strongly recommend the wheel tray style. Tray style is easier to load/unload, bikes are held more securely, and any bike is easy to carry (arm style racks fight with small or full-suspension bikes). My Kuat NV has carried road bikes, townie, and fs mountain bikes (26er and 29er). Bikes always rode securely, including some fairly rough approaches to trailhead. On an arm style rack, bikes would have been swinging wildly.

Upper hatch opens fine with the rack folded. With bikes loaded, rack has to be lowered to open the hatch.

...now am wondering if its gonna work as I have the British Pacific Rear Spare Tire mount installed on my rear bumper...when you're rack is in the closed position (folded up right) what would you say is the distance between the rear of your bumper and rack? ...my tire extends beyond the bumper by appx 5 inches.

With respect to clearances: Kuat NV has 12" from lip of Rover hitch receiver to the middle of the first wheel tray (clearance to your bike will depend on what bike you are loading). Folded, there is 5" from lip of the hitch receiver to the rack. Note that you could get about 2" more clearance by folding the Kuat NV with the wheel securing arm "out" instead of folded over the wheel tray. With your tire extending 5" beyond the bumper, you will probably have to fold the rack with the wheel arm "out", but that doesn't really matter so it should be fine one way or another.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my much heavier Ducati 1198 on the back of the LR4 in a carrier like that - did fine though I have now gone to a three rail trailer for convenience.

I just bought a two-bike bicycle hitch-mounted carrier off of eBay for about $80 and it works quite well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310731121450

I am using the AtlanticBritish hitch.

Here's my idea of a bike rack :biggrin:

IMG-20110828-00112.jpg

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put together my Kuat NV this afternoon (gift to self) with the 2 bike add-on. Now I'm not sure how I'm going to store it in my garage. Any ideas? Bonus points to whoever can also provide a picture. By the way, I love the rack, but am surprised how heavy it is.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put together my Kuat NV this afternoon (gift to self) with the 2 bike add-on. Now I'm not sure how I'm going to store it in my garage. Any ideas? Bonus points to whoever can also provide a picture. By the way, I love the rack, but am surprised how heavy it is.

It's super-heavy. There aren't a lot of great storage options. If you have wall space, you can use a wall-mounted trailer hitch mount thingy, like this one:

S80940_1000.jpg

I just keep mine on the floor standing upright, near the wall, but my garage is a bit cluttered

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the NV Core, it's 40lbs...not that bad? You can order the cable locks and it works very well.

11394921733_ebe4e13878.jpg

Last edited:

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I ended up doing. So far it's been about 45 minutes and it's still hanging. :arch: I looked all over Lowe's for something strong, this was about the strongest that I could find. Each bracket is rated at 50lbs each. I went with two, in addition to replacing the included screws with a bolt and washer. All in, the solution was around $14.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 43

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I ended up doing. So far it's been about 45 minutes and it's still hanging. :arch: I looked all over Lowe's for something strong, this was about the strongest that I could find. Each bracket is rated at 50lbs each. I went with two, in addition to replacing the included screws with a bolt and washer. All in, the solution was around $14.

Update: Fortunately my method held the rack without issue. The problem has become hanging it on and taking it off. I end up straining by back every time I have to lift that beast over my head. I've decided to do the Rack Stash. Pictures below. Much easier method!!!!! And yes, I do have some touch up painting to do in my garage. These projects never end.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 39

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I need an advise regarding a bike rack.
I should mention that it will be for 2 bike s( adult size ) and 2 bikes(kids size). Of course kids are growing fast so in 2 few years their bikes will be bigger.
I did some research and narrowed down to those hitch racks.( it will be 4 bike set up)
1. 1upusa Heavy Duty Double Bicycle Quik Rack 2" Hitch Carrier (Black) plus 2 bike extension
2. Kuat NV2 with 2 bike extension
3. Thule T2pro with extension for 2 bikes

I have no experience with bike racks. I really like 1UPUSA design ( quality and size) and it is mad in the USA.
Any pros and cons regarding those racks. What is your experience with those products.
Just from reading online I am leaning toward 1UPUSA.
Thanks in advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM