Leaking windshield.. what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows what recourse I have for this. I've had my LR3 for 2.5 years now and over that span it has gone in 5 times for a leaky windshield. It leaks about 12 inches away from the a pillar on the passenger side. Water will drip down the inside of the windshield and also pool on the passenger floorboard.

To date they have replaced the windshield once and have resealed it 4 other times. It's going back in on Tuesday as it's leaking again (the last "reseal" took place in January of 07 and it hasn't leaked until just the other day).

What can I do? They are "trying" to fix it but I'm getting frustrated with having to keep taking it in.

Hollywood LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon Law not sure what the laws in your state but most are 3 times then buy back

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try another dealer (if one is close by) or you could also try a glass shop that specializes in windshields. I would think LR would know their cars best, but when it comes to something like autoglass, it might be better to go to a glass expert.

Good luck!
Rich

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree w/ richpike. We send our glass out to a place over 10 miles away. Why? We do Autos, and they do glass, and damn well I might add. Glass work is almost an art form.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this problem only on the 05 models, or have others experienced it. I had mine "fixed" 4 times and it dumped some water on my leg the other day. It usually happens when I back up the vehicle after a hard rain. Mine is an 05 HSE.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that your sunroof drains have been checked and cleaned. That was the culprit on mine.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, has all the symptoms of a clogged sunroof drain some of us have experienced.
Have the dealer check it out. Had this problem on my 06.

Last edited:

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

I'm not sure about the lemon laws in my state, I'll have to look into it. I was under the assumption though that they only applied if the same thing was repaired a few times within a 90 day period, whereas in this case it's been over 2.5 years.

As for the recommendation of taking it to a glass company, the dealership I go to, Land Rover Portland, actually sent it out all 5 times to one of the more reputable glass companies in the area up here.

JP Truck: I believe it is an 05 model thing. I have read about other people having the same issue on this model but it seems to be limited to a small number of vehicles. I'm guessing a small batch of serial #'s.

The sunroof drain tubes were one of the first things the dealership checked. They were clear. That aside, the leak is actually about 10-12 inches away from the nearest drain tube. We also NEVER open the sunroof so there isn't any real chance for any debris to get in and plug up the tube.

Frustrated in OR :mad:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunroof doesn't have to be open to get clogged. But I guess thats beside the point
now. Man that's a tough one. I would give the independant glass shop thing a try
before you start your lemon law case.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it appears that after some looking, I wouldn't qualify for lemon law anyway. They seem to only apply within the first 30 months from original delivery date and we are just past that by about a month.

It's going back in on Tuesday to the dealer. They are going to attempt to fix it for the 6th time. I'm also going to express my concern over what kind of damage the water may have caused. I know that part of the heated windscreen doesn't work so I'm guessing corroded connectors because of the water. I hope that the airbag in the passenger A-pillar is fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635