Let's talk about Power Steering...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, on my '96 I've developed a leak in the power steering. It's starting to get bad.

I've read through the old messages here and I find that maybe I should order a hose replacement kit?

Is this a job that a simple wrench turner like me can do, or is it more complex then I want to get involved in?

Thanks
Jim

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This job is easy, but first check to see which hose is leaking.... clean if very well with some degreaser...

Normally the issue is the cheap clamps that were installed at the factory just need to be replaced.

I even went as far as spending $6 at NAPA to buy some new hoses (the low pressure ones)

That is unless you like spending $85 on a oil resistant rubber hose.....

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. In looking at it, it seems that the leak is coming from one of the two hoses that come from the little round reservoir near the front of the engine compartment.

I'd like to change both of those hoses. I'm not sure how the clamps work though. On at least one of them, there is like a metal shrouding around the end of it. how do I deal with that?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
basically the clamps you are talking about are the cheap factory clamps. The come apart fairly easy with some plyers.

You can either just replace the clamps with some good hose clamps, or replace the hose and clamp.

I bought my hose from Napa. it was oil resistant double walled hose red in color about $5 a foot if I recall correctly. Or LR sells their hose for $85 for the two low pressure hoses.

D

discoinjapan

After changing these hoses do you need to bleed the system at all or do you just fill it back up and let it settle?
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
PS is just fill and let it settle, the plus is since you are changing the hoses you will drain a lot of the fluid. Basically you are refreshing the system :biggrin:

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so are both the hoses coming from the reservoir low pressure?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the high pressure hoses are from the pump to the steering box.

T

Talon2Discovery

First post ---> What type of PS fluid do Land Rovers take? Any specific brand? I'm picking up a 97 Discovery this coming Saturday and I know for sure it leaks powersteering fluid, so much so that it is bone dry now and is making the typical ps 'whines'.

Cheers.
Jeff.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Takes ATF (auto trans fluid) Dextron II if I recall correctly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax