Let's talk offsets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been considering the compomotives but have a question about the 'offset'. Truth is, I don't know what that really means. :albertein
Will the wheel stick out farther than the stock rim? If so, how much? If it doesn't, how does this 18" rim fit and the LR 18" rim not?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A positive offset, which is how most factory wheels are designed, tells you how many millimeters from the imaginary center of the wheel the mounting surface (the surface that contacts the wheel hub) is on the ROAD side of the wheel (a negative offset measures the opposite, how far from the center of the wheel the mounting surface is on the BRAKES side.) So, a +53 mm offset (aka ET 53) means the mounting surface of that wheel is 53 mm away from the center of the wheel, towards the road side. I think the Compos PD1881 have an ET of 44 (can't remember for sure), meaning the mounting surface is 9 mm closer to the center of the wheel than the stock wheels. As both wheels are 8" deep, the Compo will "stick out" 9 mm more than the LR stocker as a result.

Don't read too much into offset numbers alone, though. The inner design of alloy and spokes can play a big part as well, a smaller positive offset alone is no guarantee the wheel will fit better over a caliper.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So I know that approx 30mm spacers are needed with stock wheels. And the Compos basically are like 9mm spacers. Why isn't the extra 21mm needed with the Compos? I don't get what you mean by spokes and alloy design matters. Thinner?

Simplest cheapest rout is spacers, but just eyeballing how much farther out the wheels would be, I think it would look silly.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the very beginning the Compos were custom designed specifically to clear the calipers of the LR4 (and early gen RRS with front Brembos before that, the braking system used by the original Bowler Nemesis rally car in 2006) so yeah, that includes spokes pushed out to near the front face of the wheel and interior cylinder sized and bored to clear the discs and calipers of those vehicles, while limiting the need of additional offset to a relatively negligible 9 mm or so. That makes the use of spacers unnecessary, which is not the case with the stock 18" rims Land Rover offered for its early LR3 using smaller front brakes. Those wheels were not designed with the LR4 in mind. That's why going by offset alone is not a surefire way to tell if a rim will fit or not over a certain setup.

I have seen some LR4s with 18" OEM wheels and spacers installed, the setup looks good actually. Yes, the wheels do stick out about 30 mm more, but when fitted with chunky A/Ts they nicely widen the track of the car while still staying pretty much lined up with the flared fenders above them. They don't look silly at all - to me, anyway.

I am just not a big fan of spacers personally, not for looks but for long-term safety and suspensions reliability reasons, so a simpler setup like the Compomotives was worth the extra money to me.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm just trying to figure out my winter set. I could either get 19" winter tires, which don't have many options or suck it up and get the spacers and have more options with the 18" wheels that I already have (I really want to try 235mm tires this time).
What I don't want to do is get the expensive compos and trash them with salt all winter. Good. That's settled, I don't have to think about it again til spring. Thanks!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For now, I'm going with 19" snow tires. (R2 SUV Nokian I think). That way I can put the rest of this off til spring!

Thanks!

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wish the compos came in more designs (most folks with 18" wheels have the exact same rims!) as I like the look of my black oem 19" rims much more and would be settling on aesthetics for off road functionality.

That being said I'll probably get them some day as I subscribe to bertos concept of keeping it simple without spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99