Locked out of LR3 with motor running!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jackmac

Here's what happened (and of course, what not to do!)

The other day, my wife was leaving the house, when she soon returned to tell me that the LR3 was running in the driveway, and she could not get into the car. I went out to investigate, and sure enough it was true. Key in the ignition, all doors locked, and our other remote fob would not unlock the door! Used the manual entry method with the key in the drivers door handle to open it.

How did it happen? Well, she opened the vehicle from the passenger side door, reached over and inserted the key and started the motor. As she was removing her arm, it bumped the central locking button on the main center console. She then closed the passenger door, and went to put away an empty trash can from the street. Presto! All doors are locked, key inserted in ignition, motor running, and it would not respond to the other remote fob.

I will attempt to recreate this to be sure of the sequence. This is not an issue if you were to repeat the process from the driver’s side (driver side door will automatically unlock itself if motor is running, door open, and lock button pushed).

The major concern here is - what if she was not at home, and our child was in the back seat? Don’t even want to think about that, but wanted to share this experience, as a warning of what not do to.

D

dronedog

i would have to read the manual again but there is a circustance where the doors will relock themselves if something is not done. maybe if the driver door is not opened after unlocking with the key fob. i can't remember and i may be thinking of another car. but you might check the manual on this.
the dog

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you don't open the door in a minute or two after clicking unlock (can't remember exactly; need to look it up)... the LR3 will relock. The assumption being that you made a mistake clicking unlock.

X

xcursion

The car will relock itself only if no actions whatsoever are taken in (like?) 3 minutes. But in Jack's case, the passenger door was opened so that already canceled this auto-action. Engine started, locks manually locked, then passenger door closed. So it is lock out with engine running. This is a very dangerous situaion. Good thinking with the manual unlock.

But the designers were probably thinking someone in the driver seat started the car and wanted to lock all the doors manually by hitting the central lock switch, not considering whether the passenger door was open or not.

Either way, thanks for the warning. I can see my wife doing the same too. Never start a car from a position that you cannot fully control, but thats just me being ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jackmac

xcursion has it right.

Also, I did a test tonight, and reverified the sequence. Only the driver side door has the auto-unlock feature under this particular situation (pressing of the central lock button on console while door is open), not the passenger door.

Lesson learned, don't reach in and start it from the passenger side.

S

shod

05 SE V8. Have been reaching in from passenger side through out entire winter to warm up the car in the driveway while wifey was getting our 3 yr old ready. almost always more then 3 minutes. never a problem...

J

jackmac

We've been doing the same for the past year too. The only time we had this problem is when she accidentally bumped the central locking button recently. Just wanted folks to know what would happen if you then close the door in this situation.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Series II was the same way. I wonder if RH drive cars have this feature, but from the opposite side?

N

NHESS81

Well my Disco1 auto unlocks if the driver, passenger, and perhaps even the rear cargo door are opened. It is convenient as well as annoying, because sometimes my arms are full of stuff and its hard to get the FOB out (why is it called a FOB, anyone explain to me?).

The reason you cant unlock with the FOB is probably because without the driver door being opened, a sensor is not getting hit, and the vehicle probably resorts to a 'security' feature. I know sometimes I cannot turn my ignition until I FOB lock my doors, fob unlock them, open the driver door...so it must be a security system glitch--remember this is a D1 and I doubt much technology has carried over the last 10 years! Good isse to bring up for the board tho, I am sure you are not the last one to do this to their LR3!

J

jackmac

I think the reason why you can't use FOB #2 is because FOB#1 is in the ignition with engine running.

Scenario: Driver is driving with FOB#1. Passenger with FOB#2 accidentally hits the unlock button. Wouldn't want the memory seats to start to move, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635